1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

requirements for subbed pick up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sk187, Oct 11, 2016.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Just wondering legal requirements for hiring a "guy with a pickup and plow"?

I have a decent sized snow plow operation with legal employees but have a friend with 3/4 ton pickup and v plow willing to fill in if needed.

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway....
    Does he need to be a legal company (scorp,llc,dba) or can I just 1099 him?
    Will his vehicle insurance cover any accident should one occur?

He obviously isnt going to start his own company to be a fill in plow guy, hes more or less willing to help when someone is sick or a big storm.
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

No. You should have no problem just issuing him a 10-99 at the end of the year. He should also have a stand alone commercial snow policy (listing you as "additionally insured"),and commercial truck insurance.
    Philbilly2, FredG and Sawboy like this.
  3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yup. Make sure he's got a GL policy and Commercial insurance, and names you. You can 1099 him. Theoretically you should cover your arse by getting a workers comp policy to protect yourself from him or his estate from suing you as well should he get hurt. That's cheap insurance and is based on payroll and exposure.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

the bad part is if he doesnt already have insurance.the cost of being legit will make it not worth working for you.
  5. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

You need to make sure he has a GL, If he is a sole operation you can have him sign off the workman's comp.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If he is a stand-a-lone company that you issue a 1099 to and not a W2, you can/could require that they show prof of WC coverage, but the Owner(s) can opt out of the system.

You do not(well I never would) insure another company's employees.
    FredG likes this.
  7. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

That is to risky to even think about. I might take a risk but that's not one of them.