1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Required uniform while plowing? What do you wear?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone Have a strict uniform requirement for their guys while plowing???
    And what do you wear while plowing???

I guess i will start!
    I tell my guys that i really dont care what they wear but the second they get out of the truck to shovel, Load salt, ETC, ETC. They gotta wear a Company coat or something with our logo on it and Pants..(i give them a vest, hoodies, coats.And an ID!)
    This is only because my guys crank up the heat to 100+++ in the trucks and loaders and attempt to wear shorts then wonder why they're sick!

I wear jeans and a Company t-shirt over a thermal/ long sleeve shirt. I drive a crew cab so i always have blankets food, coats, glove, and stuff!

Anyone work for or have a company that has a strict dress code while plowing??
    I have buddys that say i shouldnt let my guys wear shorts. I say "if someone can see the pants you're wearing in a skidsteer or loader you shouldnt be driving it."

2. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

A few years back I make my guys not only wear my company logo, I printed them on bright orange/green shirts. All the jackets have my logo and REFLECTIVE MARKERS. Trust me, it is worth it. Not only for safety, but for the professonal look.

As far as shorts??? Its winter. If there is a problem, then need to be dressed for it. You may want to look at the type of personal your hiring if shorts are an issue.

A few years back a young kid was plowing next to my lot. It was about 4am and I got out to piss. He slipped and knocked himself out. We came accross him right after it happened. He went to the hospital and was ok but what if? He was dressed in pants and a sweatshirt. I do remember it was cold and we were running behind. It was just luck that we where there.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I wear a t shirt while plowing,why would you want to be uncomfortable while plowing?

4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Better question who's going to see you? usually nobody's up at 4 am ...lol

5. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Haha ya never know!!

I was at the NHRA Race last week and saw Al-anabi's (HUGE race team) Motor Home/Transport driver was wearing a full on suit in 90+ degree weather!
    As he watched them fix the car!
    I thought that was a little outrageous! But im sure someone had a good reason for him to be in that Suit!

Hes the one who drives this:
    [​IMG]

6. AndersonCS

AndersonCS Member

The whole "who see's us at 4 a.m." mentality needs to leave this industry. Does anybody realize how visible we're at 4 p.m.? Granted maybe these guys are only plowing driveways and it might not matter.
    My point is that my mandatory uniform policy gets me more contracts than any other advertising. Plus the commercial accounts know we take safety seriously.

So my policy is I buy the clothes u better be working in them and vests/jackets (they are provided both) had better be worn if your out of your equipment.

7. snobama

snobama Member

I try to have my guys wear blue suede thongs and Z cavarechis

8. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

if im out of the equipment its always the yellow reflective coat...no exceptions!

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:...Heres one of our walk crew guys heading out to do Battle.....Hes been with us a Long time....It was around Christmas time so he added the Hat.....:salute:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  10. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Thats so wrong ....so wrong.

I agree with the need for uniforms and company logo'd gear, while on or off the clock, safety vest when out of equipment on a site. It's more professional and defiantly helps gather more business. I get my people fleece wear, hats and safety vests.

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

cheap way to prevent a boo-boo

IMG_20110130_113244.jpg