1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

require safety vests?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rock&snow, Jan 19, 2009.

1. rock&snow

rock&snow Junior Member

How many of you guys require your employees or sub contractors to wear some sort of safety vest or highly visable clothing? Also if you do require that who pays for it the company or the employee?

2. starc

starc Senior Member

I've never been a fan of the employee having to pay for any sort of uniform that you require them to wear. I think the employer should supply these items, however, I think that if they lose there vest in this case they should be responsible for buying the second one.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i was tring to go to it... but never got there ... iguess we will try for this upcomign season

i think what my rule was going to be... we would give each a 15 dollar credit towards being a safty vest... if they wanted to buy a coat instead we didnt care, but the outter most garment was gonna be safty yellow

i was at a bank last sping... and a friend of mine , had a big comapny.... working installing mulch at a mall

well , if always been a fan of the collarded shirt, tan, low profile look... somthing tastefull...

his guys wear saftey yellow... from 500 plus yards away , i could count every employee he had... thats not joke, i counted 27 including guys in the truck

that right their made me a beliver... so i do think its worth the money

and getting your employees to payfor it , itsnt such a bad thing.. alot of construcion companies require it. alot of of other places require boots, and other items. either they want the work or they dont... look at it like this... at least they arnt buying their own tools as well... like shovels. alot of carpentry guys buy their own hammers... even pay for their own fuel to drive to the site... so i dont think a 15 dollar vest or a 80 dollar coat is out of the question. jsut give them fair notice, and offer a payment plan to help them out if its gonna hurt their pocket book

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

If you require it as an employer you have to pay for it. I read that somewhere

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

not true at all, at least in this state

however...... it really depends on how its worded

for example..... if they msut wear a SAFTY vest... then it could and most likely would be considered PPE....personal protective equiptment.... and the employer has to prvide proper PPE equiptment. That doesnt nessesarly have to be free to the employee... but it still has to be provided...normally 1st pair is free, next one costs money

then again , if they say... you should wear a bright colored yellow shirt...like this one... and industry standards arnt a consern... then the employer has no obligation

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i work for myself but i keep one in my truck. Its nice to have if i jump outta the truck at night

7. I think if your going to require it your a cheap@ss if you don't pay for it.
    My employees are required to wear a uniform which consists of an embroidered golf shirt and hat. I give the employees the clothing and expect them to care for it. If they start "losing" uniforms they are required to pay for the replacement. My full-time staff get 5 shirts and 2 hats.

8. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

I like the vests because they really are simply and very effective. I wear one on my motorcycle at night and I feel like I'm a beacon of light in the road.

If you want your employees to wear them I'd say loan the 1st (to be given back after leaving the company), and pay for replacements if theirs is lost.

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

maby thats what I read and I just interperted it differently.

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I think they are a great idea. We are required to wear them at the automotive plants we do, although I will send "extra" plow guys in occasionally who do not have them. They haven't been booted out yet. They work very well, you can see the guys a quarter mile away once outside the truck. Been considering having everyone wear one.

The company pays for the first one......the employee pays for replacements. Subs are required to supply anything that would be required to do the job as specified. We also pay the first $150.00 towards winter wear (bibs and jackets with logos) for employees.

11. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i paid for them (coats) for my guys and put my name on the back it ran me 50 bucks each with my name on it

12. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Funny this topic should come up.
    In the summer biz (and sometimes plowing) we unload and load right by the side of the road a lot. Now, obviously, being visible doesn't mean that they won't hit you, but it can't hurt.
    I decided to buy some, keep some in all the trucks. If you are in a deserted parking lot, no, probably not needed, but on the side of a road, or a busy parking lot or something is broke, can't hurt.

The vests were like $8, the really expensive ones were like $15. (truckntow)

Seems like a no brainer. People on the roads get stupider and stupider every year.

13. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Our FD just mandated that we wear them as soon as we get out of the truck on an active roadway (during car accidents, wires down calls, etc) we dont have to wear them during fire calls as they wouldnt last long in a fire. For the winter i did notice that carhartt makes a really nice insulated hooded sweatshirt/jacket that comes in safety yellow or orange and has reflective stripes on it. I have this same jacket in the regular carhartt colors and really like it. This may be a good way to make sure the guys wear it. http://www.ruggedoutfitters.net/shopexd.asp?id=1130

14. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we have reflective vests in each truck. if the truck breaks down on a road or we're unloading equipment roadside I require them to put it on if they're outside the truck. too many morons around here. I believe CT just started mandating yellow safety gear for DOT and all state sub contractors. because people don't slow down for orange cones. People couldn't pick out the difference between an orange road cone and a guy standing still with an orange vest when they were whizzing by @ 60mph.

15. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Reflective vest are considered P.P.E. and the employer is required to provide and pay for them. Basically only items not employer covered are boots and street clothes.
    From OSHA.gov

The final rule recognizes that there are certain circumstances where long-
    sleeve shirts, long pants, street shoes, normal work boots, and other
    similar types of clothing could serve as PPE. However, where this is
    the case, the final rule excepts this everyday clothing from the
    employer payment rule. Similarly, employers are not required to pay for
    ordinary clothing used solely for protection from weather, such as
    winter coats, jackets, gloves, and parkas

The final rule clarifies the issue of who pays for replacement PPE.
    The final rule requires that the employer pay for the replacement of
    PPE used to comply with OSHA standards. (See 29 CFR 1910.132(h)(5);
    1915.152(f)(5); 1917.96(e); 1918.106(e); 1926.95(d)(5)) However, in the
    limited circumstances in which an employee has lost or intentionally
    damaged the PPE issued to him or her, an employer is not required to
    pay for its replacement and may require the employee to pay for such
    replacement.

16. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

why are you requiring employees to wear reflective vests?

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

As of Nov 21, '08 (I think), the Feds required anyone working around moving traffic to wear Hi-Viz clothing--vest\coat\shirt\whatever--in the required class for speeds being worked around.

You work around traffic, and something bad happens without the required PPE, the boss is screwed.

In most states (not sure all) this is true. Especially if it's required by a gov't reg. And like Bigearl stated, you're cheap if you don't. Think it might be true for all though, can't prove it though.

JCI, it isn't just your FD, it's all now.

18. fireside

fireside Senior Member

As of nov 2008 vest or outwear meeting ansi type 2 or 3 are mandatory for ANY WORKERS on fedreal funded or maintained roadways to wear them at all times. yes that includes the plow guy. Fed OSHA is looking to adopt the same rules that makes them carry larger fines just as fed law does.
    The only people they forgot about was the fire dept they will melt to us opps sorry the goverment at work. now as of april 2009 they must be meet NFPA for outerwear Price went from $8 to now $250 for FD).Just remember they must have your company name in 2" letters on the back.
    The employer is required to supply them just as any other safety items by law. If you don't you will be fined.

19. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

If I were to run a company of this sort; snow removal, construction, etc. I would require my employees to wear an ANSI II safety green (that lime color) vest, I would buy the first one, and if they loose it they have to pay for a replacement.,

I'd probably get the company name and/or symbol put on them, too. Just for uniformity,.

20. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We have about 50 vests but only required anyone to wear them on state/county jobs or any in road work.

Unless of course the person who hired us required them.

There a good idea but vests are tough to manage the best bet is to get some shirts for your employees in that are safety colored with reflection strips built in.