1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Request to De-ice grated steps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jdilliplane1, Jan 10, 2014.

1. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

Ok guys, I'm at a loss here for an answer. I was asked to de-ice a set of grated metal steps and also a icy railing. This was a call-back after initial salting. The security guard supposedly almost slipped and made an issue out of it at this particular location. There is no way to place calcium or anything else on the steps, etc. I felt like this was a ridiculous request and made it known, but the particular manager requested sand which is out of the scope of work and will also fall through the cracks. Just figured I would bounce it off you guys about any possible answers? these are also the grated steps with about 3-4 inch space between the steps.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe a propane weed torch to melt it off or liquid ice melt....
  3. jdilliplane1

Yea, this particular location has been a royal pain all season thus far. Seasonal account from a national maintenance company, which this is not a debate about. They actually have been good communicating things so far in the season. So this falls outside the scope of work and I'm not set up for any kind of liquid application. I wouldn't even know where to begin with that.
  4. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

If it is a contract done through a national company, I would contact them and see what they say, as it is out of the scope of work, if the manager of the property wants it done the national may have to get somebody do to that part specifically, but to be honest, personally I think it is unreasonable to expect you to apply any sort of de-icer to a grated surface...
  5. LopatLT7495

LopatLT7495 Member

Tell them the steps are out dated an they need to get the new heated model! Honestly though the touch or liquid melt sound like the only real options. Good luck.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X2 on the pig.

7. jdilliplane1

We have established that it is outside the scope with the management company. They were looking for suggestions as to what to do. Honestly, this is as asinine as it gets. I made the suggestion to just not use the steps during storms as it is a side entrance not really used anyway. Kinda crazy. Figured I would throw it out on here as i have learned a ton over the years reading on all the posts.
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

A bagged product called Power Thaw would work as it's pretty dusty and has small thin flake to it. Most would fall through but some would stick and this stuff is pretty powerful even in small amounts. Or make a brine solution with whatever salt you want and put it in a weed sprayer tank, or a watering can. That's all I can think off other than the torch idea ( which is a good idea )
  9. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Propane torch... The dragon. Northern tool has em
  10. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

bang the steps a few times with a sledge hammer to break it free.