1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replowing customers again and again

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DanG, Feb 20, 2003.

1. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I'm Feeling the need to vent.
    I'm had it with the yuppies who want their driveways done at un-godly early hours.
    You know the ones i'm talking about(they have to leave for work at 4-5 am etc..)
    The roads aren't even plowed in their subdivisions so you do them and a little later they leave you a message saying did you forget me? You didn't plow me yet.
    You explain to them that you did do it and if they look they'd see that was the case.
    They say they have a 3-4' high berm at the end now from the town truck and can't get through it but the rest looks good and can you drop everything else to come out and plow them again because they have to get out..

This is when I usually say something like this,

When i'm back on that part of my route or one of my other drivers are in the neighborhood we'll clean out the end and where the car was parked (if they bothered to move it yet.)

Get everything done and and get yet another call from the same customer the next day saying that the end has a huge bank again.
    Seems this time the town decided to wing back the banks and blasted all the driveways full again.:realmad:

It would be nice to get some sleep one of these days.

Dan

2. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Don't these people know how to operate a shovel?

3. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

operate a shovel?

They dont need to know how to operate a shovel, thats why they have a plow contractor. Granted to have to go back the third time is excessive and in my opinion should have been billed for. Billed for half rate I would say. But thats my 2 cents.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

That is one of the reasons im getting out of residential accounts,they all want to run you. Im tired of the calls for 35 dollar driveways,Ill be clearing my commercial accounts where i make the money at 500 am.I tell them up front,i got to you after my businesses are all done,yet they still call.

5. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

you got that right Dan

and Kawdude has it right too they are paying use to plow and if the D.P.W. keeps plowing them in so be it BUT we need to get PAID to go back !!!

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If I get called back, I bill what it's worth to me and let them know up front what that will be. The customer then has to figure if it's worth it to them. If I'm getting the money I want to run over there and they're getting what they want, everybody is happy.

7. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

My point was that people can't expect you to come back every time a plow truck goes by, especially for free.

What are they driving that they can't get through a few inches of snow anyway?

8. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

People just don't understand that a plow clearing the road is going to put snow at the end of their drive! I can't figure out why they don't realize that...maybe because I plow, I don't know.

I plow a few of my nicer neighbors drives for free when I'm done for the day/night. Notice...it's just the nicer ones. Anyway, one of them had the nerve to come over to my house, wake me up after only 2 hours sleep wanting that 1 inch of snow cleared from the end of the drive!!! I didn't mutter a word. Door was shut in their face and back to sleep I went. When I went to go back out to plow they had shoveled it....into the middle of the road.

They are off of my "being nice to my neighbors" list. :nono:

9. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

:eek: Oh my god...

10. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Same here John.

If a customer wanted me to make multiple trips I would just bill accordingly. I don't mind making multiple trips to the same job site as long as I'm being payed right.

11. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

You would not have these problems if you had a system that both you and your customer can count on.

You must know what the maximum allowable jobs are to be placed on a given route for a 6" on average snow fall, for a total time of 6 to 7 hours. If you choose to go beyond the "safety zone" of allowable routing time available, you will definitely be challenged by the more particular customers.

You must be compensated for every trip to a customers home. It is your job to arrive as close to your selected start depth(1"-2") as possible, and as often, until the snow event is over.

Create a operating system to suit your needs, then continually perfect it over time!

ChicagoSnow

12. Tim C

Tim C Member

re-doin approns

I charge 10.00 $ for appron and full push $$$$ for drive clean up. Know more mister nice guy. Who pay's for truck or plow repairs. Thank you and have a nice Day. Just my 2 centspayup

Tim C Let It Snow:drinkup:

13. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

i think they all are willing to pay for a second visit, its just the urgency that is bad, especially when you still havent done some people a first time, i had a Dr. till the last storm, he complained that he had to push the car thru the street snow bank, like its my fault it was there, but he never would have even gotten to there if it wasnt for me, anyways, hes gone, i dropped him and its all old ladies and retired people for me, thats the way to go!!

14. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

We have it worse. Right now we are 40 inches above averge for entire season. One HOA we do, new this year to us, has banks(piles) as high as can be stacked with skid steer. I have told them numerous times they need to be moved, drives are getting too narrow etc. Got a call last week to come plow after calling them all day because there was 2 inches on ground but town had plowed road ends were a mess(8+ inches) but contract is 3 inches of accumulation, or at direction of mgmt co.. Finially called at 3 pm to plow. My problem is this their seasonal, & they created this situtation(but not allowing us to remove banks). Still haven't gotten OK for removal. Just wrote a letter out regarding safty concerns there and at another property we do for them to cover my butt. Feels like a loosing battle.

15. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Mike,
    We're in the same situation here.
    We've gotten 3x the amount of snow we had last year and are 18" away from breaking the all time record for seasonal snowfall.
    I took on a Job like that this year too and they didn't budget for a winter like this and most if not all their money has been spent already.
    I'm running into the same thing with them, they still have snowpiles from previous storms that they don't want hauled away or even moved on site which would be cheaper.
    One more medium or big storm and they'll be in trouble. They're already gotten letters from me saying I'm not going to be held liable if that happens.

Chicagosnow,

I don't mind going back to clean out the ends as soon as the storm is over, Which I consider part of doing the job.

But when they call 2 days after the event is over thats Going way above and beyond.
    It's not my problem if the town county etc.. goes through and fills them in again and I expect to be compensated for it because thats NOT part of a normal plowing service.

Dan

16. farmertim

farmertim Member

Time and money saver

Heres my 5 cents worth

My route has a set amount of full time residences.
    I do them first after a snow.
    Second & third day I do the rest, as I am passing the fulltimers by I clear the ends of the drive out if the town district has rolled back the banks.
    If I am not coming back to that area or the town has not plowed the road yet, "I" plow the road so the banks won't reach the drive and block it in.
    Same if the town district hasn't rolled the banks back and I am done with that area I roll the banks back if possible.
    Our town district drivers work with the local plowers "ME" if I am doing some of thier work.
    Granted this is very rural area, not a suburb and I have room to push, but the theory works on the "in city" drives I have as well.
    This works well for blow in's as well, catchem as I go by, reduces return trips ans everbody is happy most of the time.
    :waving:
    Tim