1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacment for granny 4 speed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ejschwarsjr, Sep 19, 2002.

1. ejschwarsjr

ejschwarsjr Junior Member
    from S.Tx

You all have a cool site. While I live in southTx and never see snow, I do two old chevys. One is an 87 C20 hd, and the other is a 85 C30 Parcel van.

A previous owner of the C30 installed a Cummins 3900T diesel. I like the motor, thou it slow as a snail getting to 55 and tops out at 70. My problem is the muncie 4 speed transmission. I need the granny for pulling but another gear or two on the way to fourth (1:1) would sure help things along. Does any one know if any one made a 5 or 6 spd box with a granny gear.
  2. Rocky383

Rocky383 Junior Member
    from alaska

there are 5 and 6 speeds with a granny gear and i think they are made by new venture but they are very expensive and i doubt if they are a direct swap. also there are underdrives( i thinks thats what they're called) that you can bolt in to make your 4 speed a 8 speed effectively. i think they just split each gear in to two.
    hope that helps!?!
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The new venture 5 sp should be a direct bolt in as far as engine to tranny, as long as the cummins has the same bell housing pattern as a chevy. If not a dodge 5 sp may work.same tranny different bell housing pattern.
    The cross member may need some mods tho.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The Super Duty Fords have a 6 speed tranny, the shift knob says it's a 5 speed overdrive with a low low. My truck has 4.88s and the low gear is a stump puller, but at 55 mph I'm turning 2200 rpm. It might work better with higher gears, but I don't know how much trouble it would be to adapt to your engine.