1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacing trip springs on HD

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by tastebeer, Feb 20, 2010.

1. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

Anyone had need to replace trip springs on HD Fisher? If so did you use the spring changing tool and what success did you have with this device?

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Its a piece of cake with the tool.

Without the tool it can be a very dangerous job. I know someone who broke their jaw when trying to get a new spring in. It slipped, hit his jaw and then continued with enough momentum to end up in the loft of his shop.

You only need to compress the spring an inch but there is a lot of energy stored in it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I asked my dealer for the tool. They don't sell/use it. They use a crane to pick up the plow by the top hole in the spring tab. The weight of the plow will cause the spring to compress enough to put a pin/bolt through the lower hole to keep the spring compressed. So if you have an engine hoist, skid loader/tractor you could do that. The other thing he said to do is use a three foot piece of pipe with a chain on it. Use the top of the blade as a pivot point and compress the spring that way to put the pin in.

4. SIlkysmooth

SIlkysmooth Junior Member

I used the tool last night to change out the springs. It took about 35 min for all four. This was the first time I used the tool because I have never had to change the spring before this year.
    From the local dealer about 25 dollars for the tool you will need a 3/4 and gear wrench and it is a peace of cake. The only thing is that the factor spring has a small pin that I had to cut off.

5. Flipper

from CT

I can see both of those shadetree ways going bad. The one with the cheater bar could be especially dangerous if it slipped.

The tool is cheap, my dealer got his for free from Fisher so I can't understand why a dealer would not have / use one. I think I paid $35 for mine from him (his cost). It is by far the safest and easiest way to do springs.

6. camaro 77

camaro 77 Senior Member
    from ma

I have changed a few sets without the tool I use my engine hoist I have the plow mounted on the truck and install a hook thru the top hole of the spring and jack the hoist up until the bolt on the bottom is free then lower the hoist and the spring is released never a problem doing it this way

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I have only done springs with the tool (maybe 8-9 times now), but I've seen it done in all sorts of ways. The tool is the best in my mind, but to each his own. There $20 - $25 through most dealers.

8. Flipper

from CT

I checked my receipts today. I paid $17 in 2002. That was likely dealer cost as I was doing overflow work for him at the time.