1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing side mirrors (with signals) on '03 Sierra

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by G.L. In Ont, Feb 20, 2011.

1. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

Both the side mirrors on my 03 Sierra are pretty bashed up from ... yeah you guessed it, plowing in confined spaces on 2 hours of sleep after going for 20 hours! Excuses excuses!!! :nod:

Has anyone successfully replaced them? I have been told it is straightforward but wanted to get some first hand insight.

I am pretty sure they used to be heated although they definitely ain't anymore.... and they have the integrated turn signals.

Am going to check the glove box to see if I can tell for sure if the option for heated mirrors is listed. When I glued on some of those cheap mirrored sheets (cos the glass was toast), I did see what looked like radiant flooring pipes ... meaning wires going back and forth ... lead me to believe they may well be heated (or were at one time).

All the help is greatly appreciated. Won't be impressed with the "get more sleep" and "don't plow for that long" replies.

You get the idea! :redbounce

Cheers. :drinkup:
  2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I bought heated towing mirrors for my '01 on ebay. I didn't even know I had heated mirrors 'til then.
    Be careful that you search out the correct year etc of your truck. They vary in price by hundreds of dollars so don't buy the first ones you see.

Changing them will takes 20 minutes for the pair. You gently pull off the inside triangle access cover. I think they took a deep well 10 mm socket but it has been a couple years so I'm not sure of that.
  3. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

its super easy Ive swapped mirrors a few times take off the door pannels unhook the wires they will be under the area where the window and mirror controls are unbolt the mirrors and normaly you would want to make sure they dont fall off but in your case its no big deal since they are trash anyways then bolt the new mirrors in hook them up put the door pannels back on and your good to go
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Right, 02 was the last year that they had the pigtail up in the triangle corner behind the mirror. On your '03', your connection is down where your mirror and window controls are.

If you have basic tools, it should take less than an hour to change them out.

Ebay is def. where you need to look.
  5. G.L. In Ont

G.L. In Ont Member

Awesome guyz, thanks.

I am going to pick them up today. Found a pair on kiijiji for $240 and the guy said he'd take $200. Suh-weet.

I priced them new and they're almost a GRAND each, NOT INSTALLED.

Think I'll pay $200 for both and do the job myself.

Plowsite comes thru AGAIN!!!

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Very easy to do. If you need to take the door panel off let me know i do them every week. If anyone is looking for just the mirror(glass) with heating element and signal, i have 2 for sale for the pass side.
  7. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

what I paid like $750 for the tow mirrors off an 06 from the dealer that was for the pair and of corse thats heated and signals