1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Rusted Tailpan - Reply to Steve K

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wyldman, Sep 11, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

Steve - For some reason I could not reply to your original post,so I started a new thread with the reply.I reposted your original post here first.Oh,and welcome to plowsite !

Original Post - Replacing Rusted Tailpan - 91 Suburban

I have a 91 suburban that is in relatively good condition. I am starting to get rust in the rear wheel wells and the rear member that the tailgate hinges bolt to is rusting away.

Does anyone have suggestions on doing this work??

I was told about an aftermarket replacement piece that bolt in place of the original equipment. Has anyone heard of that or know who sells it?

Thanks for your help,

Steve

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It can be done,but it is a lot harder than it looks.Most of the replacement rear pans require you cut the old one out and weld the new one in.It will be a lot worse than you think once you get it all apart.I have done a few,and they were pretty bad.

Here is a link showing what it takes to cut one out,and the hidden damage you may find.If you don't think you can tackle it,then it may be a job for a good body shop.

http://www.coloradok5.com/floorremoval.shtml