1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing rear half of transfer case??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dreamer, Jun 1, 2010.

1. dreamer

dreamer Member

I have an 04 2500HD CCSB 6.0. I have a crack in the rear half of the case. I have purchased the rear half and am wanting to change it. Question is can it be done in the truck with out removing the hole case??? An thoughts??

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

No... You've gotta remove the case from the truck. It takes about 20-30 minutes on a lift.

3. dreamer

dreamer Member

Does removing the case require any special tools that the average person would not have?

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the skills and tools to disassemble the case, removal should be easy.

5. cubicinches

That's correct.

You should also replace the bolts which hold the case halves together with the newest shielded bolts to prevent corrosion between the bolts and the case. The cases are magnesium, and corrosion of the case from the dissimilar metal of the bolts is a huge issue with those units.

6. dreamer

dreamer Member

The bolts that are holding the two halves together are shielded bolts. Do I still need to replace them with new ones?

7. cubicinches

Not necessarily. If you already have the shielded bolts, and the shields are in good shape, you'll be fine to re-use them. The earlier design bolts had a coating instead of the shield. Once the bolts were tightened in place and then removed once, the coating was gone, leaving the bolt directly against the case... not good.