1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Pinion Seal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fedspunisher, Aug 24, 2010.

1. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD. Is replacing the rear pinion seal something I should attempt? Does anyone have an exploded view of how it goes in?

2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

First thing first mark the position on the nut and count the number of threads. (that is after the drive shaft is out)

Second index the yoke on the shaft

Third pull the yoke off and change out the seal.

Forth install the yoke in the same position it came off.

Last install the nut, making sure you don't go more than an 1/8 of a turn more than it was before it came off.

Most shops will use the same method. Most likely you'll need an impact gun.

The correct way is really to take apart the whole rear end so you can measure the rotating torque, but it is unlikely any shop would do that.

3. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Is there something to look for that will cause this? The truck has 165,000 so while i have it in the air and apart what else should a be replacing?

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Possibly a plugged vent, though usually an axle seal will go out first. Also make sure there isn't a grove in the yoke.