1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacing old solenoid?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by l2ward, Jan 22, 2011.

1. l2ward

l2ward Junior Member

I had a problem with the fuse burning out when I dropped the plow. Hiniker dealer told me I need to replace the solenoid and that was a common problem. He hands me the part I take off and wait until this morning to replace. Looking at the old solenoid, it has only 1 post and the new one has 2. I searched through the threads here and found that the old 1 post solenoid is obsolete. OK, but how do you hook up the new 2 post solenoid. With just one hot wire hooked to it, it does not energize the magnet. I'm assuming that you have to hook up the other post on the solenoid in order to get an electrical flow through it to activate the magnet. Where does the other post get hooked to?

2. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

My solenoids are single post too. I would have to guess the other lug needs to be connected to a ground.

3. l2ward

l2ward Junior Member

I thought that too. But their is continuity between the two posts. If I ground out the other post I think that would just short out the circuit and blow the fuse, or the solenoid.

4. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

5. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

My manual don't show much. Maybe you could remove and figure out proper activation using a battery charger.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

All of mine are 2 post, how old are yours?

7. l2ward

l2ward Junior Member

I bought mine used and unsure of the age. The newest it could be is a 2002. But I asume older.

8. l2ward

l2ward Junior Member

Well the dealer opened this morning and I gave him a call. He said that the the 2 post replaced the old one post. They did this to provide a better ground and help extend the life of the coil. The other post is simply grounded to the main ground for the system. I t dosn't create a dead short that I thought it would.

9. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Good to know. I know sometimes things defy logic using a continuity tester.

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Continuity ?? Yes you are completing the circuit..

I was going to suggest you call the dealer too..