1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Motor Relay (Fisher)

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Tweak, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

I noticed that the motor relay under the hood of my truck is very crusty and the terminals are very rusted.
    As preventative maintenance I will replace it.

However, is this something that tends to wear after a couple of years?
    Reason I ask, is that there is 2 other old ones screwed to my inner fender from the previous owner, Looks like they went bad and he just slapped a new relay in everytime.

I dont want to be left stranded, so I will go ahead and do it.
    I'll have to really clean up the wires and nuts at the same time.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Then coat them(the wires and the solenoid ) with FF. Fluid film.

It is a wise idea to have a spare on hand.
    The solenoid may last for years or it could go bad in a month or two.
    It depends if your using the cheep ones from the auto parts store or are using a heavy duty one from a plow MFG.

Now is a good time to take a look at all of your electrical connections.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ditto........

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

the most replaced consumable on any plow. longevity depends on quality of the part, how long the operator continues to activate the unit after it has reached full extension, the cleanliness of the current path.

So clean all your connections, replace the 12volt motor solenoid, and throw another one in the truck. You might consider having the unit serviced and inspected by a pro. If it's had a history of burning up 12 volt MS then there could be issues.

5. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

Thank you so much folks for the wealth of knowledge.
    You guy's are the best!

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I keep a couple in my toolbox. With 6-7 trucks under my control, tend to lose at least one a year.

Really lazy not to have taken out the bad ones. In newer trucks not much room for one let alone three. Get it cleaned up, clean all the wires, coat them and you should be good to go.