1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacing mold board

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by watchamakalit, Mar 1, 2005.

1. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

I currently have a 6.5ft. on my 88 Jeep comanche pick up. (I know not wide enough.)

I am looking at buying a full size pickup and I know I will want a wider plow.
    My question is can I just swap out moldboards or will I need a whole new frame? It is a Western blade. I don't know the model due to I bought it used. I use my plow for a small family buisiness and a couple of driveways. So I don't need anything super fancy like a brand new boss v.

2. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

I would just run the 6½ and keep my eyes open for a complete larger blade at a good deal. I run a 6½ on my ¾ Ton pickup because I had it in stock off my old scout. If you were trying to make a living at it you would want a larger blade right away.

3. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Thanks for the response.

So I am assuming that the moldboards will not interchange. Is this correct?

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't know if they can be just swapped or not. I don't see why not.

If I was in your position, I would just consider a set of Pro-Wings. They will give approzimately 20" of extra width... for around the $250 mark, seems like a good value to me.

5. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

If it is the sport utility plow moldboards won't interchange. If it's the standard duty blade you can just unbolt the 6 1/2 and up to the 7 1/2. Use the Western link on the top of the page and look at the plows and match up yours with theirs.

I'm not sure of how much of the sport utility plow parts will fit the mount for other trucks though. If it's a standard duty plow it will fit on most anything; just swap moldboards, change truck mounts and wiring harnesses...

6. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

Thanks for the help guys. I am hoping I can just buy a new moldboard and swap them out.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Have you priced a new moldboard lately? I went a couple months ago to price a new 9' for my Fisher. I decided I be as well off to buy a new V-plow.