1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Markers in frozen ground

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PamelaRose, Jan 27, 2005.

1. PamelaRose

PamelaRose Member

Hi Everybody;

I use 1" square by 4' surveyors sticks to make obstacles where I plow. I need to replace the ones that are missing/broken. I went to the supply store and they guy wanted to sell me a 1" masonary drill and an extension. Anybody have a less expensive solution on some sort of auger or something to "drill" a hole in the frozen ground for the markers that have been broken or missing?
    Thanks in advance

P.S. Its always classic music for me too

Classic rock-n-roll that is as loud as it will go! :D

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i steel stake and a hammer. that bit has to be expensive and for what you are going to use it for it would be overkill. you could try renting the bit for a rental yard.

3. danno

danno Senior Member

Yeah, better off with a steel rod and hammer. Get a steel rod a little smaller than diameter of stakes, this way they won`t be loose in the ground.

4. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

Heh Heh you must be reffering to someone at Lowes, Builders Square, or the like. I would go with the stake and a hammer.

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I always insert my markers with an aluminum rod (rounded end) and a 3 lbs sledge. Make absolutly sure there is nothing undergroung where you want to put in the replacement stakes- really easy to drive the steel stake through a sprinkler line or something with the ground frozen.

6. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I use the round fiberglass stakes, about 4' long and use a long drill bit and cordless drill to make the hole. Works great.

7. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

If you go with the steal stakes, and what I'm thinking is only kind that will drive in the frost. Buy a post driver too, well worth the money vs. a hammer. Tractor Supply Co. sells both the stakes and the post driver.
    The metal might be over kill but nothing else will go in the ground this time of year and stay up right the rest of the season. Some times I paint the tops of the meatal stakes with orange paint too, make it easy to see.

8. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You don't need a masonry bit to drill that hole. An auger bit should work for you. The money spent will pay off in time saved and ease of doing it. Here is the kind of bit- Bit like this

9. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

Get a cordless drill and use a 1/2 inch dia. drill bit or larger if you need it, that should provide enough clearance to allow you to bang the stakes into place.

10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

If your in connecticut the piles should be big enough that you shouldnt even need markers anymore.Im in central connecicut and most of my markers are buried in the snow banks.

11. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

I yes you are correct the piles are tall enought where one can see his last run. But perhaps it my be worth while for is to put markers in should tht snow melt soon.

12. PamelaRose

PamelaRose Member

You are right about that!

I have used a piece of rebar and a hammer when the ground wasnt really frozen solid. I dont think I could get though the ground now. The warning about making sure there is noting below to damage was a good one too.

There is only 2 spots that I really need to do. There is a dogleg in the road. We put our pile past the curb and the city keeps trying to go to the pile and is going to tear up the curbing AGAIN. They just replaced it all last summer and it took YEARS to get them to do it. The other spot is not as critical.

I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on a less expensive way to do it. I was thinking maybe someone knew of an inexpensive auger or something else I could use.

I do appreciate all your help.

Thanks guys! [​IMG]