1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Intake Manifold Gaskets Today

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kbsnow, Apr 13, 2010.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well, I guess it is FINALLY my turn to replace the gaskets. I put up with the leak all winter as I don't have a heated garage or any place to tear it apart. Luckily it was an external leak and did not get into the oil. I bought the FelPro gaskets and will start tearing it apart after I take some pictures and label everything. My friend is coming over to pull the distributor as its been years since I pulled one. I know to mark it, but he does this all the time so I will leave that up to him.

Wish me luck!

2. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well spent about 3 hours on it today. Everything is stripped down and all the manifold bolts loose except one on the pasngr side by firewall. need to remove dist to get to that bolt. I vacuumed all the crud off the top of the manifold and drained the radiator, YES the battery is disconnected. Tonite I will run out and by gasket remover, and new gaskets for the TBI module and air cleaner, along with some thread lock.

3. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

Just make sure you keep the sand and dirt out of your engine as you tear it down. Just had a buddy that did a real quick job on his car, got sand, dirt in his block and ended up destroying his rod bearings, expensive mistake. Keep it clean and take your time.

4. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

All done! Whew...took al the externals off yesterday and loosened all manifold bolts. Pulled dist today, cleaned cleaned cleaned and installed everything. Tomorrow I will fill with anitfreeze, change the oil, and fire her up.

5. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

ALL DONE! And no leaks yet. drove around for about an hour, and everything looks good. Time will tell

6. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

One more thing. I've read on the internet to time a 5.7 TBI there is a brown wire with a black stripe that needs to be unplugged, then start the engine, set the timing on the zero mark, tighten dist, shut the engine off and then reconnect the brown wire. Does this sound right?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. Tan wire with black stripe. Either behind the black plastic cover on the passenger side firewall, or behind/under the glovebox in the cab.