1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing hydraulic lift valve

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by maineiac, Feb 6, 2016.

1. maineiac

maineiac Junior Member
    from Maine

How difficult is it to replace the lift valve and relay? It appears that both are fairly easy to access and remove.

2. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I'll assume you mean the valve cartridge and coil assy. It's easy. The biggest mistake people make is over tightening the coil. If you do it will bind the valve. Make sure that's what you need before replacement. It's usually a bad ground or connection. Test for voltage at the coil, then see if the coil becomes magnetized. Go to the boss website and go to tech then troubleshooting for step by step instructions.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Why are we condemning both the valve and the coil?

Check out the wiring.

You could even swap that coil with a diffrent one.
    To trouble shoot.

9-10 times the valve is fine, just the coil needs replacing.

4. maineiac

maineiac Junior Member
    from Maine

The website isn't very specific. The guide leads to the conclusion "Lift solenoid valve not opening completely. Replace."

Where should I be testing for voltage? My dealer is essentially useless. 4 or 5 trips so far and the problem still persists.

5. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Voltage at the coil when activated. No voltage, back track til you find the problem. If you have voltage check for magnetism. No magnetism, bad coil. If it's magnetic bad valve.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016