1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing gas motor with electric

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Brad3403, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I tried searching for a past thread but had no luck.
    I need to replace a gas engine on my MDV 4 yard spreader. I remember a post a few years ago which talked about replacing the gas engine with an electric.
    Any new or old thoughts on doing this.
  2. lucky921

lucky921 Senior Member
    from dracut

a guy I no did it and loves it cost a few bucks but said it was the best thing he did
  3. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I have a gas salter to that I want to convert to electric. I have two electric ones now and I love them.
  4. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Do it well worth it. I am in the process of getting the gas sprockets replaced now with a bit larger. I used a 3/4hp with a 12tooth sprocket on it to a 70 tooth for the gear box. I also bought a 60 tooth as well incase I do not like the speed.

The only trouble I had last year was when heaped it went slow and strained the motor. That was due to no time to change the 48 tooth sprocket. I will post some pics this weekend.
  5. dalmatian

dalmatian Junior Member

Pretty easy conversion I did this with my diamond/myers sander. Got all the parts from Tractor Supply and Granger. Changed the sprockets and slip clutch belt to chain drive
  6. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I did one two years ago, had a thread about it if you search my posts I'm sure you'll find it. I am about to do another one during this winter. Picked up a used AirFlow SS to match my original with a blown gas motor for $400.00, I will have another $700.00 with the conversion, between the motor, bearings and what not. Think snow!
  7. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

Electric conversion pics

Took these today next I am going to make a trap door with a Anderson connector mounted in it on my flat bed . I have a constant duty relay and breaker under the hood.

This is a 3/4 hp flea bay motor with a 11t to a 70t sprocket it should have plenty of start up power now.

8. T-Trim

T-Trim Senior Member
    from NE OH

So how did you connect it to you spinner? Nice job BTW
  9. joeyg999

joeyg999 Member
    from Kansas

The spinner runs from the gearbox shaft I think it is a 12t to a 14t sprocket. It is one speed only just on. I can open the gate from 1.5"-8" fully opened it will dump the box in a few minutes. I will get some more pics when the chute goes back on.