1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Fittings on Western, thread tape & elbows?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Flyboy77, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I have a Western 8' conventional with electronic joystick. One of the hoses connected to pump body has an elbow pointing up when fully tightened and stressing the hose when plow lowered. I can decrease the angle by putting straight couple between housing and quick connect. Should I put Teflon tape on threads or just tighten?
    How do you normally deal with elbows pointed the wrong direction?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your not supposed to use tape, liquid.
    Elbows in wrong direction,,,, see a doctor asap

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

either get a longer hose, or the correct swivel elbow (or both). dont add a coupler.

4. dieselss

He's got a unimount pump on a conventional plow has to add fittings

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

hydraulic fittings do not make a seal at the threads so tape is useless.
    but plumbing fittings like the where the fitting screws into the ram could need tape to seal as the threads make the seal.

a longer hose? is this the stock hose or a replacement hose?

6. linckeil

from CT

i think we're getting hung up on semantics. fittings (elbows) are needed regardless whether it's a unimount or conventional. a quick disconnect is only needed for a conventional setup.

what the OP said was he wants to "put a straight couple between housing and quick connect". so he already has the quick disconnect as he would need with a conventional setup, but it sound like he wants to add a section of straight pipe in order to take stress of the hose. at least thats how i interepreted it.... and i would not recommend that. i would suggest a longer hose and/or the proper swivel fitting. a picture of the setup would do wonders in getting the correct answer.

a swivel elbow fitting would allow the elbow to "swivel" to where it needs to point, as opposed to a fixed elbow, which points whatever direction it is once tightened (sometimes you get lucky with a fixed elbow fitting and when it's tight, its pointing where you want it).

7. linckeil

from CT

here's a pic i had in a different thread of my SEHP (unimount style) pump with a conventional setup and quick disconnects.

009.JPG

8. dieselss

Ok I gotcha. Misinterpreted the words

9. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

The solution I came up with was replace the 90* elbow with a straight. Here's the pic of what I was talking about. The one hose is pointing straight up because the elbow when tight points straight up.

Many of the elbows, even ones with swivel heads have the swivel after the 90* elbow, which could still end up pointing in the wrong direction.

8ft_Western_plow-LiftFrame-Pump-small2.jpg

10. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I'm using a new, original hose bought from the Western dealer. He said it's the right length, manual says 38". Quick connect on one end and direct thread on the other. The length would be fine if the 90* elbow didn't point it the wrong way.

11. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

Just in case, here's the A-Frame where hoses connect. These 90* elbows are pointed in a helpful direction.

A-Frame_small.jpg

12. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

Number 17 in this pick is the straight coupling that the dealer sold me to replace the 90* elbow.
    Is this the recommended solution to fix the stressed hose issue in the above pic at the housing connection? Any other suggestions?

plow_couplings.jpg

13. linckeil

from CT

take a look at the picture i posted. you see how the rear hose on mine uses the top port on the block? you are using the side port for this rear hose, which is going to increase the distance the hose needs to extend. try using the top port as i pictured along with a 90 degree elbow. i used a fixed elbow here and got it rotated to the proper orientation. the hose will have a nice straight shot (no bends) to the angling piston when using the top port.

14. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

I think that port is for the Curb-Side ram.
    I need the Driver-Side ram and it appears to have a Poppet check valve in the related port. Can it be moved, 'cause that would be cool?
    If this diagram is correct for my plow (http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13523_080092.pdf)

If I use the straight coupler to the quick connect just like you have on the Driver-Side port and it clears the bumper fine, that should work. I don't think the Curb-Side is stressed, but I'll check. It's nice to know this is an option. Thanks!

correct manual per mishnick in Water in Plow thread (http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=1894901&postcount=27)

Conv_Hydra-Diagrams-small.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  15. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

So you just left your bumper off on your truck, huh. I'll have to check and see how that looks. Might make this behind the bumper plow look less ancient! :)

16. linckeil

from CT

yeah, dont mess with the poppet valve - that cannot be relocated. you only have one option for the front hose (driver side) and thats the side port. however the rear hose (curb/passenger side) has 2 options - side port or top port. if you set your hoses up just like mine are in the picture i posted you will not have any issues. it is the most direct route for the hoses to take and keeps them well out of harms way (the lift chain). it also minimizes the need for unnecesary fittings.

as for the bumper - yeah, i hated the way it stuck out. i was going to find a way to notch it and make it look cleaner, but i perfer keeping it off as it allows me to really thoroughly hose the truck down after a storm to get all the sand/salt off the frame.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

This is how I have my western cobbled together.
    This what happens when your scrambling for parts at 4am ;);)

But it woks....

image.jpg

18. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

ouch no cover on the valves ???

19. Flyboy77

Flyboy77 Senior Member

20. linckeil

from CT

hah!! did birdseed help with that custom installation?????? :bluebounc

we've all been there with the emergency fixes - whatever gets the job done. but before the next storm, please at least get a cover on those coils and valves.. :help: