1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing fan motor

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sven1277, Dec 23, 2009.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Whats involved in replacing the fan motor for the hvac in an '05 siverado?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

if it is similar to a 02 it goes something like this.
    On the passenger side, from the floor toward the under dash you will se a long plastic one piece cover and it shold be held in with 3 or so 7MM screws. use(deep well) 1/4 ratchet that will take the sound/cosmetic/condesation cover off..
    The fan will be shaped like a coffee can with 3 wires and a plug, un plug the wires..........grap the fan as a whole and rotate it (pretty sure, counter clockwise) and it shoud twist about and inch and you should have it in your hand..............get another one and some deal backwards........also you may have a hepa filter there and now is a good time to change it

B&B walked me through this for mine, so this is me paying if forward. Good Luck

3. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Thanks for the help

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mike has you covered except there's a locking tang you have to press and hold with a thumb in order for the motor to rotate into removal position. It's tough to see, so it's more of a feel it with your finger deal. It's on the firewall facing side of the box but toward the trans tunnel and protrudes down about 1/2". Need to press it toward the firewall and hold to allow the motor to rotate in the housing for removal.

5. GLSCPE

GLSCPE Junior Member

Before you yank the motor, I am assuming you are having problems with it blowing in all the positions? If so check the pigtail where it connects to the motor. They melt and you will start to loose fan speeds. Your GM dealer has a replacement pigtail assembly to put on, heavier wire (which doesn't make much sense since the rest of the harness is the same gauge wire). Anyway they work if that is the problem, may not be the motor.