1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing F250 TTB Springs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by msavoy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. msavoy

msavoy Junior Member

We're going to bite the bullet and put new springs under the front of our '97 F250 with PSD. There's only an inch to the stops without the plow and adding a leaf or re-arching can't last forever.

Several places list a 4,200# spring for the front. Anyone used these triple leaf units on their 250? How stiff does it get in the cab?

2. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

i just added a leaf to mine an it's worked great so far. if you want pics go to the picture forum and search easter project. Raised the truck alittle sits better handles the plow better and rides fine.

3. msavoy

msavoy Junior Member

Read with interest your previous posting about the Easter project. Thought it looked good and was very informative.

Our springs are so bad that the front tires are splayed without the plow mounted and all the ball joints are tight. I'm concerned about speding $200 for add a leaf springs and doing all the work and then end up being unhappy with the results because I didn't pop for the $500 springs in the first place.

Your project turned out real nice. Were your tires splayed at all before you started? How are your ball joints?

4. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I also went the add a leaf route on an F250 I had and it worked great. That was in a much younger truck with springs that were already good and a 5.8 though, so you might be best off replacing your worn out springs rather than putting one new one in there that ends up doing all the work. I have a 3 spring pack in the front of my current 95 F250. It's stiff, but isn't uncomfortable.

5. msavoy

msavoy Junior Member

That's your real sharp silver & charcoal unit from an earlier thread featuring photos. Is that a gasser with the AAL or the triple leaf springs? If you don't mind sharing, if you just picked her up in March, what did you have to invest? Thanks for the tips!

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments and I invested too much. The gray one has what looks like a factory triple pack since the bottom spring has the wrap around on the ends (military style?). It also has the 5.8 gas.

7. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

if you were talking about my truck thanks i try to take care of it. or affekonig's is also very nice. it was like $170 for both springs when i got them. the place i went to was really cheap, and the guy was a big help. I can get you their info if you want. my truck has a 7.5 460 gasser. no my tires weren't splayed. Ball joints are great. i went threw a pair last winter but i think that was my own fault, ran over a curb cant wait to plow with it this winter with the extra leafs. but if your truck already sit that low without the plow it'd prob be better to just get new leaf packs with 3 springs an not worry about it for a long time. and dont worry it will ride fine. pictures help alot in determining the shape of things but if it sits like you say i'd just go for the new leaf packs.

oh an i didn't just get it in march i've had it for almost 3 years now. besides a set of ball joints the leafs are the ony mod i've got for it, besides some lights an other toys for it:) If you need any more info let me know

8. msavoy

msavoy Junior Member

affekonig & JDWalkbehind -- you've both got trucks that make most of us just drool! JD, you've talked about the history of your truck some in previous posts and I think you said a family member had it before you. I think you were going to put a new box on too.

Affe's truck has either been in a garage for a long time, been re-done completely or it hasn't been driven around Naperville very much. They really do know how to sling the salt in Naperville.

Affekonig -- do you think your truck came with the factory plow prep package? Even most F350s that I see don't have that 3-pack front spring!

9. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I will admit that the truck looks better in the pics than in person, but it still looks pretty good cleaned up. I don't know if it came with the plow prep or not and I haven't really looked into it yet. I don't drive the truck much and I'm waiting until fall to start getting into it, not that there's much to do. I bought it from a guy in Chicago and it only has, hehe, 54k miles on it. Considering the condition, I don't think it plowed much, which makes me think that whoever put the plow on wasn't too into it and probably wouldn't spend the money on springs, but I could be wrong. They do look factory, but I checked the front axle weight rating a while ago and I think it was the lower of the two offered, which is confusing. Anyway, it's a nice truck that I'm looking forward to using this winter. Actually, I'm looking forward to using tboth of them as I've never plowed with a Jeep. Bring it on, winter.

Oh, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.