1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing Dash Lights...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MikeO, Jan 19, 2004.

1. MikeO

MikeO Junior Member

Hello all,

I have been putting this off for a while because I thought it would be too much work. I have several lights out behind the dash and need to replace them. the Left side of the main insturment panel is dark and the entire climate control panel is dark. How difficult is it to get to these lights. Do I need to take off the entire dash or can I get to them from somewhere else? Truck listed below.

Thanks,

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Most likely the dash has to come out. I've changed dash lights in some of my old vehicles and had to take the dash apart every time. Not fun.:nono: :waving:

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The dash display can be removed and reinstalled in about 15 min. Very easy. HINT, MAKE SURE inside of vehicle is good and warm. Plastic has a tendency to explode when cold. Remove plastic bevel, dash is held in with 4 metric screws. It is plug in module unit. Remove screws and it pulls right out. The plastic bezel is the only tricky part.

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I've never found an easy dash to work on. The best way to approach it is to slam your hand in a door first. That sets the mood for getting the cluster out. Last one I dug into was my 88 K model and there was a bunch of twisting and turning to get the cluster out and back in. It's probably a lot easier when they put it in on the assembly line. Seems like fiber optic leads from a remote located bulb would be a practical way to do dash lights.

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Trust me that mid 90's GM truck dash is literally one of the easiest instrument cluster to remove.

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I changed the bulbs in my 88 without pulling the dash. I just pulled the face off, and then the clear lexan then the dials all came out within mins of starting the whole thing. The hardest part i found was to remove the old bulbs, i broke 2 of them trying to pull them out. Start to finish it was like 45 mins...Rob

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The next time I have to do it(which I hope is never) I'm calling you to come down and do it for me!:D :drinkup:
    Took you 45 min., took me a week!:eek:

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

only if your buyin!!!!:drinkup: No prob just bring it here and ill have ya on the road in no time!!!!!...Rob