1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacing cutting edge ?????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jameson, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Jameson

Jameson Junior Member

Just looking for a simple answer. I am contemplating purchasing a new cutting edge or just flipping my old one and bolting back on.

...with the flip I add another 2" from of cutting edge and bolts holes line up fine. The problem is that difference in height from one end to another changes almost an inch. i assume blade will still sit fine on the ground.

Should I buy a new cutting edge or burn this one out for a bit? And is the inch difference a big deal?

Thanks, I know I'm being cheap and should just buy a new one, just looking for opinions.

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Are you saying its badly worn unevenly from side to side? if thats the case I would replace it if you can afford it.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I second that...Replace it.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If it were mine I would want to know why its wearing uneven. uneven wear is shortening the cutting edge life.

5. Jameson

Jameson Junior Member

yes, I just took it off for a flip. The cutting edge was worn even, but needed replacing because it was getting close to bottom of plow. Was going to flip, took a measurement and from one end to another there is a 1" difference from bottom of edge to bolt holes. In other words, one side is 4" and the other is 3" from bolt holes.

I agree with replacement, its off now and I don't feel like messing with it in another month to put a new one on.

Thanks, JR

6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

What usually causes this?...

Mine always wears more on the passenger side than the driver side.

I think I just need a NEW plow.

7. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Cutting edges normally wear on ends first. You normally plow w/ plow angled which puts more weight/contact on the ends of cutting edge. Makes a smiley face of the cutting edge:). If it really bothers you or wears fast you could get curb guard on the ends that put more meat on the cutting edge where it wears down quickest.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Yes wears more on outer edgeS NOT ONE side more than the other.

wears on the outer edgeS IF plow A-frame is not parralel to the ground. Also happens when you go over changes in grade, side to side or front to back.