1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacing body parts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by velocity, Nov 15, 2002.

1. velocity

velocity Junior Member

Hello...I need help...I have a 1986 chevy and need to replace the rockers, doors and cab corners. If anyone could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. My main concern is the rockers and cab corners. I do not have a clue as to the best way to tackle this. The rocker panels look pretty hard to replace. They are rusted pretty bad. Also I need to take the bed off...is this hard to do? Any input you guys have would be great. Thanks

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Welcome to Plowsite!!:drinkup:

If you don't hear from 75 soon, look him up and pm him. He's got a lot of practice with them!
  3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The bed is easy, 6 bolts on the 6' bed and 8 bolts on the 8' bed. The problem is that they are usually rusted tight. So be carefull, best hope is that they break. There is also an electrical connector in the rear behind the bumper. That needs to be unplugged, unbolt the filler neck, and off she comes.
    the rocker cab corner area is a little more difficult. This is not a bolt on proceedure. They need to be cut out, and have the new ones welded in place. One good thing is that the GM's seem to be the easiest body style to work on. If you dont have the skills and or equipment to do the job right, pay someone who does.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ