1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacing atv blade (makeing my own)

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Joesno, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

I don't feel like paying 70$ for a replacement blade for my glacier atv blade and my closest dealer ( tricounty Polaris) are all jackasses who rip you off (Broke my break line and said they didn't do it). The next closest dealer is far and i don't want to drive there if i don't have to. I Want to make my own out of steel. Has anyone done this before?BTW my blade was gone in a year so i want to make it Bigger ( wider from top to bottom (north to south when on plow) ) do you think it would bend if i hit a crack or how big is too big? Is this not worth it? Suggestions?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

I know a guy in town who got a plow edge off of a truck plow that had went to crap and then just drilled the holes to match up to his ATV blade and away he went.

the edge cost him $15 and was 2 time the size of his old edge.

there is a thread down a little bit that talks about a poly edge that seems to be great also.

just my thoughts.

sublime out.
  3. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

I went ahead and bought the steel for My plow and drilled the holes. They match up great and looks alot better. total cost was around 30$ for Steel bolts and red paint. ill post pics soon.
    Just want to see if the tip will bend if i hit a bump because i made it longer than the stock blades.
  4. dano87

dano87 Junior Member

Ya my friend is doing the same thing. He has a sportsman 400 that is a piece. He is trying to make a new wear bar and i dont think it will work but you can give it a try too. He also has a chevy 2500 that is a piece. I think you should brake down and buy the thing for 70$ and it probably will scratch the **** out of and black top or concrete. I cant wait to see the finished product. make sure to post a picture of it.
  5. Bozeman

Bozeman Junior Member

I have made 3 of my own the last 3 seasons. It's easy and way cheaper than buying a factory one. I just bought 3" wide metal strap cut to lenght 54" for my plow. The strap material is actually rounded on both edges. It takes a couple of plows too wear that down so that it is cutting flush on the walks. I use a drill press to drill the holes. I've been able to just reuse my old bolts. I think it cost me about $15 a blade.
  6. littlenick

littlenick Member
    from OH

Go to wal-mart and buy some snow shovels and screw them to the front.....problem solved....
  7. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Seeing you are from Florida, someone should bolt you to the front and use your little azz for a scaper bar!!!ROTFFLMAO:p:p:p
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  8. littlenick

littlenick Member
    from OH

wow your nice.....
  9. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Does it snow in Florida, ever ?
  10. littlenick

littlenick Member
    from OH

about once every 10-15 years....
  11. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I used to make my own for a warn plow I had. 1/4 " X 4 inch flat steel lots cheaper. I bought enough to make two bars out of to save a trip back.
  12. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I bought a new cutting edge for my polaris glacier plow from my polaris dealer and it was
    $ 25.00 with the bolts. Are you sure the dealer and you are on the same page?
  13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I have to make my own because I dont know where to get a wear bar for a farmall blade lol. I need to get a bar with the holes that line up so I am just going to prob make my own.
  14. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

Thats understandable but if you could get one with bolts for 25. would you still make one?