1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacing angle cyliners on Meyers with westerns?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cj7plowing, Nov 16, 2009.

1. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

was wondering if I can replace the angle cylinders on my 7' meyers plow with the same size western angle cylinders? I know they are both 1.5" and 10" ext. will they fit? would I have problems with the hoses?

the reason I ask is I just restored my meyer plow to match all my westerns. the moldboard is red and the rest is black. I can only find the meyers cylinders in yellow and there arent even oem. The OEM cost $180 apiece compared to the westerns for $100.

all the meyers, buyers, S.A.M replacements I have gotton rust up and turn sh1tty in a month.

any ideas?

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

As long as the stroke is the same and the pin holes are the same size as well as dimensionly the bodies are the same length.. Remember, hydraulics do not care what "brand" they are. Also if the inlets are different size you can get adapter fittings, but most of them are 1/4"NPT.
    T.J.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The pin holes are not the same between a Meyer and Western. So what if the aftermarket Meyer cylinders are yellow? Too good for spray paint?

4. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

not to good for spray paint infact burned threw 4 cans this weekend

all my replacement cylinders I have put on my westerns are perfect, all the replacement Meyers are rusted, corrodide and pitted.

when you say the holes are different you mean they wont line up or the western holes are bigger?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The mounting holes are larger on the Western, 3/4" vs the Meyer cylinders which are only 5/8".

6. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

so there would just be play in the cylinders where the bolts are?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, a massive amount.

8. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

what would keep me from drilling the aframe out to match the size of the cylinders?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing but a 3/4" drill bit and some clearance production with a grinder.

10. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

where is the clearence needed besides enlarging the hole?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the sides of the ends of the cylinders or else they can get too close to the inboard side of the bracket. May or may not need to do it, just depends on the condition of the brackets and the age of the plow, along with which cylinders you end up with as they're not all identical. So be sure to check the clearance. If you have it great, if not then you'll need to create it.

12. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

for those of you who emailes me wondering if they will fit. THEY WILL NOT FIT. the western cylinders are measured differently with the overall length being 2.5 inches longer. so unless you are going to cutting the mounting ears off and move them back 2.5 inches and reweld them. THEY WILL NOT FIT.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not all Western cylinders (or Meyer cylinders for that matter) are the same length. Before doing any adaptation you do have to check the length first on what you're swapping around. Age and model make a difference.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The ones you have will not fit. In your original post you asked

and the answer to that question is of course you can. It takes a little work but if they are the same size you can interchange.