1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacement winch

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by 00 Ram, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

Where can I get a replacement Superwinch for my snowbear? (other than from the factory...$$$). Can I call Superwinch, directly? I've googled around, and can't find the oem model available anywhere...wondering what an equivalent might be.

The winch gave out in the middle of the last storm...it was working, as I was plowing, and it just quit dead. I tested the switch w/ a voltmeter, and it is working. There is 12v at the power contacts on the winch.
    since its been sitting outside for 5 years, I figure its probably not worth trying to "fix".
  2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

take to an electric motor repair shop, brushes may be shot on cheap side or the commutator could be the problem.
  3. h8to wrk

h8to wrk Member

Depending on your bab skills I would take the time to upgrade to a better winch. I always found the stock winch was slow.
  4. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

I suppose if I have to ask, I probably don't have 'em...but here goes: what the heck are "bab" skills?
  5. h8to wrk

h8to wrk Member

sorry fab skills. I am running a 3000lb atv winch on my plow. I had to build a new mount for it but is works much faster than the original tht came on the plow
  6. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

I also mounted a different winch on my Snowbear. I used a Gorilla/Promark winch, and have had good luck with it. I Had to drill an extra hole in the mount, but it was fairly easy. If you can get a scrap steel plate you could also mount that to the snowbear , then mount the new winch to the flat plate.
  7. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

well, I'd rather not have to fuss with it.
  8. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

If you want something to bolt up like the OEM I think your only option is to go through snowbear. Superwinch doesn't list the snowbear winch on their website, but calling them couldn't hurt.
  9. Mike1288

Mike1288 Junior Member

How to you like the promark winch? Is it much faster than the original? Will it run off the original 10guage wire. I keep having problem with the plastic bushing on my winch which ends up causing the winch to bind until i get out and push the bushing back into place. I figured maybe it is time to upgrade and I would like the plow to raise faster.
  10. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

I agree with MBB, check with your local repair shop - it may not be too much.

Otherwise, you're looking for a part # 1102-D Superwinch unit.

Be cautious about using other style winches, as the gearing may not be as stout as it needs to be for plow use.

Good Luck!
    J-Quad :drinkup:
  11. champlainl

champlainl Member

I put a harbor freight winch on my snowbear this year (2000 lb) model,bought it on sale for 39 bucks, installed chain to it, works like a charm moved alot of snow with it so far this year. Get the xtended warranty 10 bucks for 2 years
  12. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

I like the Promark winch, Works well, and haven't had any problems with the second(operator error killed the first) It might be a little faster than the Superwinch, but it's been a while since I had the Superwinch on. I'd guess it takes 3 seconds to fully raise from the ground.
  13. Tirioloservices

Tirioloservices Member

call this number its super winch in Connecticut 860-928-7787
    ask for justin,john something like that
    they sell them there not to much
  14. yonkoske

yonkoske Junior Member

I had a combination of problems this weekend and ended up replacing the winch that came with my SB200 with this one from Harbor Freight:

(Item 92860 - 2000lb Capacity Remote Control Utility Winch)

It was darn near bolt-on. All I had to do was widen the holes 1/8". I also use the same control switch that was originally supplied with the plow.

I had also blown my circuit breaker that was originally supplied with the plow. I replaced it with an inline fuse holder and a 50amp maxi fuse from Napa. All together it was less than $100 instead of the replacement winch from Snowbear at $200+
  15. 00 Ram

00 Ram Senior Member

well, I wound up just spending the money, and I got a replacement direct from Superwinch. $211, including shipping.

I decided to try and do something about keeping it covered...maybe make this one last a bit longer. I wound up using an old plastic toolbox...cut a couple of notches in it, and it wedges in place nicely between the winch and the a-frame. I'll post a pic later...
  16. oceanview199

oceanview199 Junior Member

The new winches from Snowbear are no where near as good or fast as the Superwinch. Much cheaper winch & are not water proof. Bought new winch from Snowbear & they are just no good. Talked to 3 or 4 guys who bought new plows in the last couple of years & they are all having all kinds of problems.
  17. birchmeadow10

birchmeadow10 Junior Member

snowbear winch

I have had my plow two years and the motor has died on me .the winch from harbor freight looks like a good idea,has that worked out everybody thats tried it?
  18. oceanview199

oceanview199 Junior Member

Don't know about that one but the original one from superwinch is still available. It's Model # 1102D and workes excellent. I just installed new planetaries in my old one & i'm good to go
  19. FBNemo

FBNemo Junior Member

When I bought my SnoBear used, the winch has already been swapped out for a WARN ATV winch. Since I think its on borrowed time, I bought the same Harbor Freight 2000lb. winch as champlainl did this summer. Same cost on both the winch and warranty. Thumbs Up
  20. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

with that harbor freight winch......when you mount it how does it work with that bottom plate on it since its meant for horizontal pulling, not up and down??? I want to get it and take off the cable and put mu chain on but it looks like that plate will be hitting the chain up and down?? any pics with this one on yer bear? thanks