1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GpGuy84, Oct 24, 2003.

1. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

Hey everyone, im new to plowsite and this is my first post but ive been lurking for about a week (and ive read a lot of great stuff). this will be my third year plowing but thus far i have only been responsible for the parking lot and yard at my families warehouse(20,000 sq. ft). i have been using a '90 f-150 ext cab long bed 302 4x4 with a fisher 7.5' RD plow. the truck is on its last legs and im looking to replace it. for a 1/2 ton its a beast and i have no complaints about lack of pushing power. i am not sure if it should be replaced with another fullsize pickup or something like a wrangler. im asking because i would like to take on a few driveways just in my neighborhood, and i know how well the wrangler preforms in tight areas. what are your suggestions? :help:

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

GpGuy84 Welcome to plowsite :waving:Most trucks of your size are probably fine for plowing drives and small commercial lots. Do you plan on plowing a route or just your parents properties and 5 10 drives? If you think that you'll one day expand into more properties then something bigger might do for down the road. BTW where are you in the area?
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2003
  3. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

well... at this point this is mostly cause i enjoy plowing so atleast for the next few years it will just be our warehouse and my parents house and some of my neighbors driveways (which ive done for the last 4 years with a snowblower). i should also add that whatever i use as a plow rig will not be my daily driver. i think id prefer to go smaller if possible but i dont want to creat more headaches for myself with an underpowerd truck...

and im in Allston and Newton.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

In that case I would go for the 1\2 ton of what ever brand you prefer.
  5. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

thanx for the advice :drinkup: ... it wasnt what i wanted to hear... but i had a felling that that was the way to go!!
  6. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

personally i'd go with the 1/2 ton too... but its your money and your the one who has to use it so get what you feel you'd like to get its all basicly personal preferance.
  7. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I would get a halh ton with a short bed on it. it will handle a 7.5ft blade but wont be to big or to small for your plowing needs. if you get another ford 150 maybe you transfere the plow. save you a little money.