1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement tires?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Cooters Dodge, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I need replacement tires for 03 one ton. 17 inch tires. Something cheep instead of $220 + on a single tire. I was going to try and get through the winter but already have 40k miles on them. The goodyear's I have on there now are rated for 50K but hauling on a daily basis wears them down quick. I really like the look and the feel of the good year tires, because there smooth on the road and do decent off. Just don want to pay 220 a tires times 6. Just want as cheap a tire as I can find because I put to many miles on my truck. Can't afford to buy new tire every 11 to 12 months at 220 a pop. Any help on where to start looking for cheaper tires whether you all no websites on tires or what.

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have a set of TOYO and they seem to ware better then the GY's for a few bucks less. just rember you get what you pay for. find a local dealer that has a warranty.

3. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Not familiar with TOYO. How do I get access to see these tires. Internet site?

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  6. 1996Ram2500

1996Ram2500 Junior Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  7. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

8. BASIC

BASIC Member

Sir,the Cooper Discovery M&S tire which many consider the best winter truck tire is avalible in 17",good luck BASIC.

9. plowman2

plowman2 Member

03 Ram 17" tires

Just went through the same deal. Wanted something agressive for snow and mud without paying 200.00 a piece. I found a tire called a Maxxis buckshot mudder for 125.00 ea. load range D. I really am pleased with the tire so far. If look on Maxxis tires website you can see the tire or go to ebay and type in maxxis buckshot mudder.Hope this helps some.

10. I run the BFG Commercial T/A traction tires, they are the absolute best I have ever run. I bought mine mounted and ballanced for 135 a tire, at the Local Dobbs service center. I'm not sure about the 17", I run 16"'s, but check into them. All of the local hwy dept's are running them also, so you know they're good!!!!

11. bluecuda

bluecuda Junior Member

tires

i also just bought B.F. GOODRICH COMMERCIAL T/As.i'm really happy so fa r.got them at SAM'S CLUB $88.00 each,that's for 235 85 16. 99' 3500 4x4 cummins dually

12. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 sets of rims for my trucks and use nasty traction grip tires when it is bad in winter and save them during warmer months.

13. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Blue, finding 16" tires are a dime a dozen, but what I'm trying to see if anybody got 17" tires load range E besides the goodyear for 240 a pop.
    Dodge changed wheel sizes in 03 to 17" on their duallies.
    I think it's a crock of S--- that dodge comes out with this 17" wheel and nobody makes that size and load range to fit except goodyear.
    Then goodyear gets to charge what ever the h--- they want ($240 a tire) because no other brand makes it.
    Sorry about the bitching but it p----- me off I pay 40k for a truck and don't have a choice on what brand tires or wether I want a mud-terrain or all season radial.
    Hmmm, it's already decided for me. That stinks!
    I know I should have researched this before I bought the truck but that's the way it goes.
    Dodge has got to have the only vehicle with one tire option.
    I'm a big dodge fan, but not as much!
    AS MUCH AS I HATE TO SAY IT MIGHT HAVE TO BUY A FORD NEXT TIME!
    NOT JUST BECAUSE OF THE TIRE THING BUT THEY MAKE A NICE TRUCK.
    FORD HAS THE NICER TRUCK BUT DODGE HAS THE BETTER MOTOR, CANT' EVER GET ANYTHING THE WAY IT SHOULD BE!

ALL RIGHT I'M DONE!

14. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Plowman, That' All Good But What Happens When You Need Load Range E Because You Haul Heavy Loads On A Daily Basis.

15. moel

moel Junior Member

i'm getting cooper ST tires this week cost is $152 each installed and balanced before sales tax

16. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

Ford just switched over to 17 and 18 inch rims on the 2005s. Get use to it. You may want to look into switching to 19.5s. Try Ricksons

http://www.ricksontruck.com/

17. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

Cooter,
    I had a thread on this last season. Same results. I searched extensively and found no 17", E-rated except O.E. My brother works for A N.H. Dodge dealer and tells me what we already know...It's a scam involving Dodge and tire manufacturer. They essentially "created" this size because no-one else makes it. Kind of like the "Hemi" engine. Great but I WANT A STANDARD TRANNY! Eventually the tire companies will catch on. Meantime I'm unhappy with O.E. tires and not looking forward to another set.

John

18. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

19.5 is what I run on my bobcat. and they are $500 each

19. moel

moel Junior Member

oops this is after trade in deducted for tires on my vehicle-sorry