1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacement tailgate vs. under tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sven1277, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I am planning on replacing a spreader on a dump truck with a tailgate style next year. Just not sure if I want a replacement or undermount. I have truckcraft, downeaster, and salt dogg dealers locally. What are the pros and cons between the two styles?

2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Under tailgate.. You can still use your dump for other purposes...
    Need 44" minimum from ground to bed floor

Replaceable tailgate... salt truck only
    These were designed for lower trucks that don't have clearance for the UTG.. If you got 44" go with the UTG

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

X2 for the above post. Altho....it's not necessary to have "44 inches". Each spreader and each spinner might be different depending on the brand/type. What is important is that you have enough ground clearance

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I have a replacement and use the truck for other things. I am making a shield to cover it as well.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

thanks for the replies.

6. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

We love the replacement tailgate truckcraft we have. Works awesome easy to install etc. We do have the other dump truck tho which is nice so we don't have to use the 3500 for much other than salt. Reason we went with the truckcraft was the truck sits too low for under tailgate spreader. You should have no problem with either and I think the under tailgate is cheaper?

7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I noticed when comparing theTruck Craft tc140 to the tc160 are the motor sizes. The 160 has a larger drive motor and a separate spinner motor..

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I was surprised when pricing the tc 160. It is $5500. Rather expansive.

9. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

The 140 has a spinner motor and an auger motor. Two different controls as well. Think we paid around $5300 for the 140. It is expensive but is built very well and works great!

10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Look at swenson too. I love mine.