1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacement skid shoes

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rich414, Dec 18, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I hope that this is the right place for this topic.
    Where can you buy heavy duty round skid shoes?
    Yesterday i went to the dealer to purchase a set. $160 for 2. I just about hit the floor.
    THese are 1" posts with what looks like a 6" cast convex disk onto the post....

There is one manufacture out there what has a cupped steel plate. Looks like there is NOT much ware surface before you hit the post and the cup falls off

2. leon

leon Senior Member

skid shoes

Hello Rich,

The last time I wandered through Tractor supply they had them in the automotive section.

You might wat to visit www.snowwheels.com for the plow and snow blowers as they have the attachment brackets and the wheel sets are crank adjusted and use hub bearings-if it were me I would change their bearings to oiled hubs to make them last longer.
    The things are as dumb as a post have asimple screw jack and they work; I posted a link to them on the forum here the other day.

3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Post a ad on craigslist... I bet you could find a good pair for $20!... hardly anyone uses them anymore
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

pretty sure there are ALOT of them free for the asking
  5. plowbabe

plowbabe Member
    from Midwest

what are you using them on??
  6. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

thanks for the comments
    The shoes are on a skidsteer 8 or 9 foot "V" blade...

Had a guy tell me to take short piece of pipe, 4" in diameter, set the pipe end up on my press, take a piece of old cutting edge or plate 6" square and place it on the pipe. Set up the jack of the press just over the plate. Get the rose bud on the torch and heat the plate. Once the plate get HOT run the jack down and you will convex the plate.. then weld the 1" post to the convex plate and BINGO you got it.....this is if you have the time, I figure and hour to get set up and 30 to make each shoe....i guess this a good evening project with assistance from jack daniels!!

I am going to find some for sale... but this is a good idea...
  7. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I guess it was BAD KARMA posting this. Last night one of the skid shoes wore through, now we have a 6" metal donut somewhere on a 4 mile road. My kid thinks he knows about where it fell off. I hope he is looking for it....If he doesnt find it .I guess I will find it with the blower... &$%#!