1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement shear pins for snowthower OEM or aftermarket (eBay)

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by pumadude, Mar 29, 2011.

1. pumadude

pumadude Junior Member

OEM MTD shear pins without a cotter pin are $5 each through most retail and online suppliers.

I can buy 10 aftermarket shear pins with cotter pins made for MTD on eBay for a little less than $20 shipped to my door.

Is there a real difference in functionality between the two? Does the non-OEM ebay ones shear at the same forces of OEM?
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW, my father in law has only used an actual sheer pin as a replacement on 1 blower ever- next size smaller fully threaded button head screws are his usual choice. They hold a bit longer but still sheer, and are much cheaper. (I have never met someone who so embraces the concept of being cheap- he'll spend 2 hours and $25 little by little to avoid spending $25...)
  3. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

I always suggest going with the originals, since I have seen people replace them with bolts, and other types of pins and destroy their gear box. Most people only go through a couple pins a year, and IMO its not worth the risk.

BTW you can buy 6 for $10 on ebay.