1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement of PS high pressure line

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 75gmck25, Oct 19, 2003.

1. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

On my '75 GMC K25 (350-TH350) I have a power steering fluid leak. I replaced the return line, but that didn't help. It looks like the high pressure line is leaking where it connects to the reservoir, or the reservoir itself is leaking. The fluid leaks slowly, but makes quite a mess.

Any tips on how to make this job easier? The fitting on the steering box is easy to reach, but the connection to the reservoir is between the reservoir and the engine. I can probably get a wrench on it, but then there is no clearance to move the wrench.

Should I take the PS reservoir off the engine to make it easier to reach the hose fitting? Or can I remove the belt and swing the reservoir down and get more clearance? Are there other seals that could be leaking on the reservoir?

Thanks,

Bruce

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

It may be easier to remove the pump to get the line out the back of the pump.If it's siezed,cut the line off and use a good socket on the fitting to get it out.

It could also be the pump leaking.If it's the large resivoir o-ring,it will usually leak at the front.

If it's leaking at the rear,there is another o-ring on the rear fitting adapter that screws into the pump.

Clean it all off good and run it to find your leak,so you know exactly what it is before you get into replacing stuff.

3. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like the best method is to remove the pump and try to see where its leaking.

If it is the O-rings that are leaking, are they a standard item? Most of the O-rings I have laying around are left over from a set I got when I was working on my A/C. I assume I need some that are designed for hydraulic lines or something similar.

Bruce

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the o-rings related to the pump are all sold as one kit.It's not to pricey,and easy to install.Might as well get a kit,and a new line,and just do it all at once.You will need a special puller to get the pulley off.Rent or borrow it from your local auto parts place.