1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacement muffler

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bulldozer, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

My muffler on my 2001 gmc 6.0L needs to be replaced and the only way that I can find it is through a dealer for $950 :yow!:because it comes with the catalytic converter as one piece.

It has two 3 inch going in and one 3 inch coming out
    Any ideas would be helpfull

Thanks Philip
  2. scottyknows50

scottyknows50 Member

typed your specs in to autopartswarehouse.com and got 35 matching entries. if they really do fit or not, i guess i'm not sure. i'd give it a shot.
  3. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

I'm having the same problem as you...its easy to find a muffler; but hard to find an aftermarket 1 piece welded with an extra cat converter. I'll be watching this thread for sure!
  4. bradt

bradt Junior Member
    from NW MN

what i did for my 2003 1500HD is go to my local muffler shop and asked. he had a bunch of take-offs from the "kids" that wanted other pipes. charged me $85 for a muffler to tailpipe, installed.
    my .02
  5. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

I looked and couldn't find the right inlet and outlet specs, but went to flowmasters website and found one that should fit it. Weird thing is that they have it for the speced for 2500hd not the 3500 . :dizzy: same motor

Stoped by Napa to see if I could get it and and found the same thing through Walker the only thing that seams to be diffrent than oem it's a little bit shorter should know on monday.

Thanks again

6. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I just tried SummitRacing brand of chambered muffler that looks like a flo master and WOW. Its spot on on sound and its only a 1/3 of the price. If you plow with it I would get Stainless Steel in Flomaster. All your pipes are SS so dont go cheap. It WILL rust off. I know for a fact..lol. Also use high temp paint on weld and I even wrapped my weld on muffler so it doesnt start to rust there on out. I used header wrap.

If you want the whole setup try Rockauto.com.
  7. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I think I paid $750 for mine. I didn't want to dick around with piecing something half assed in there. The stock muffler flows good,sounds OK ( I think loud pipes are unprofessional) and lasted me 8 years and 165K+ miles. If the new factory one last that long again im not going to complain about spending $750 or $94/year for not having any hassles