1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement Motor for E60

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by theplowguy69, Feb 27, 2008.

1. theplowguy69

theplowguy69 Junior Member

Has anyone noticed the replacement motors for the Meyer E60. The motor has a drain plug to let water out, BUT, its at an angle, and by the time any moisture would drain out, the motor would be ruined. I asked the guys at Angelo's supply and they said they never noticed where the drain hole was. All the motors I looked up on the internet were the same way. What kind of design is that. Here are a couple pics.

saras 11th birthday 021.jpg

saras 11th birthday 022.jpg

2. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

hmmm... is that a "meyer" motor? or an after market

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Looks like that one was assembled wrong. My E-60 drain plug is on the bottom. Also, does that motor have two lugs on it, looks like only one?

4. theplowguy69

It's an aftermarket. Couldn't find a Meyer brand motor at 2:00am

5. theplowguy69

I opened 20 different boxes and they were all the same. The motor I replaced 3 yrs. ago from the same place had the drain hole in the same location. I checked all over the internet and everyone that sells them has the drain hole in the same spot.

If you'll notice, there are only TWO ways that motor can be assembled, and if I were to turn the end of the motor around, the drain tube would be sticking up toward the grill of the truck.

The motor has TWO lugs on it, one positive and one negative terminal.

6. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

some motors have one post some have twin posts

7. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

all the meyer e 60 motors we have none have drain plugs... why do you need a drain plug? for when fluid gets in the motor? thats not good but i guess thats a meyer for ya...

8. theplowguy69

No fluid enters the motor from the pump. I guess the drain is there in case water or moisture somehow gets in. I'm going to pull the plug out of there and seal the hole up, that way nothing can get in.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you go from a single stud to the double stud motor?

If so, then that's why the drain is pointing out the front instead of being on the bottom.

When you switch from the single to double stud you should also change the motor mounting plate to the newer double stud compatible mounting plate p/n 15831 which re clock's the mounting bolt holes 90 deg for the double stud motor. Which of course will re index the drain to the bottom.

Note: If you plug the current drain, remove the end cap and drill a small drain hole in the lower most portion of the cover. The motor wont live long without some type of drain.

10. theplowguy69

Yes, the original motor had just a single terminal. The aftermarket motor ( the only motor my supplier offered) has the two terminals, (probably fit's more models). I tried to figure out a way to rotate the end of the motor, but it would not work with the current set-up, I would need different parts.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, you'd need the 15831 mounting plate to re clock it.

12. 1motorcityplow

1motorcityplow Junior Member

Well, believe it or not, my new "aftermarket" motor went out after 20 hours of use, go figure.

Going to buy an OEM upgrade for a few bucks more.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd believe it. :nod:.

14. iplow4u69

iplow4u69 Junior Member

Angelo's was all out of "made in China" motors, so the guy hooked me up with an OEM Meyer motor for $139.00, and yeah, I had to pay the difference.