1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacement motor for buyer spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Shoreline, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Shoreline

Shoreline Member

Have any of you had success in having the motor rebuilt as opposed to just replacing it? I have a TGS01 spreader and if I have anything more than about 80lbs of salt in the hopper, it doesn't like to turn on when I hit the switch. Controller says "No Ground! Check!" and if I go back and spin the motor by hand, it'll take start turning on its own again. That is until I have to shut it off. Anyway, best place to either get a replacement motor or is it better to just have it rebuilt? Is there a stronger motor that can be put in?

Thanks,
    John

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I just put a bigger motor in my V box 1500, thing is 3 times bigger vs the old motor. Not sure if it will fit in your tailgate. Try ebay there is a lot out there from buyers.

3. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

Double check to make sure you have solid connections and your wiring is in good shape. Resistance anywhere in the circuit can cause your controller to think that the motor is jammed or under to much load and it will not run. if all you have is an on/off switch it could be the motor has a dead spot or it still could be a wiring issue.
    Most car alternator/starter shops can access the correct replacement motor for you cheaper than anyone else and can even test your existing motor. You can also use a set of good jumper cables or back up to another vehicles battery and try to jump directly to you spinner motor next time it doesn't start using the cab switch. Just remember to have the vehicle running so you are using 14.*V from the alternator and not 12V from the battery alone. and place a sheet of plywood so you don't get a load of buckshot when it comes on,(trust me, wet salt encrusted jeans and 14v can be nasty).