1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement For Current Plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Mr. Horsepower, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

Hi Newbie here.

Since 2002 I have been using a Fisher homesteader 6.8" plow with my 1998 AWD V8 Explorer. I only do 3 driveways and the vehicle and plow are great for my needs.

The Explorer is coming to the end of its life, basically the chassis is rusting out from the damn liquid calcium chloride the local highway department uses. In the last 24 months, I've had to replace spring shackles, brakes lines and power steering hoses, all on a 56,000mile vehicle.

When the Explorer goes, My 2007 Tahoe will become the plow vehicle and I'll be buying a new plow for it. Obviously I could go with a 7'4" version of the Homesteader or Suburbanite plow (same unit different color), but I'd also like to consider a step up to the next level.

For those of you using plows on 2007 and up Tahoe's, what are you using and what has been your experience? The local dealer is talking about a Western HTS (which is designed specifically for 1/2 ton pickups), is anyone here using one of those on a Tahoe?

Thanks for any input you can provide.
  2. leon

leon Senior Member

snow plow etc.

Is there specific reason you cannot use the old plow
    on the newer beast of burden?

You may be money ahead simple reusing the older
    plow and mount if possible.

3. Mr. Horsepower

Mr. Horsepower Member

The current plow is 6'8" and barely wide enough for the Explorer at full angle, it will not be sufficient for the Tahoe. I think it is best to sell it with the Explorer and buy new.
  4. sswt

sswt Junior Member

if youre only doing a few driveways, go with a snowbear....im using mine to do our farm, her parents farm down the road, and a couple neighbors too

light duty plowing like this doesnt require a western or a meyer, its nice to have the hd setup, but when you take into account how much youre taxing the vehicle with the weight and added cost the snowbear is a rather attractive option......my whole setup weighs only about 280-300lbs, including the mount and its super easy to remove from the truck too....and i plow with a 92 k1500 with 320k all orig. motor and tranny
  5. snowfighter75

snowfighter75 Senior Member

Talk to Western about a Midweight. Or go check the site out and try Quick Match. See if the Midweight is recommended for the Tahoe.