1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replacement cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOODY367, Dec 19, 2007.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

What kind of prices are you guys paying for 8" straight blade cutting edges for fisher plows.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I think the standard is 6", unless your running a municiple series. I just paid $83 or something close to that.

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I was quited $197 from 1 place and 135 from another. I didn't ask which one it was. Seemed high to me.

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I pay $140 now...I used to pay about $85 three years ago but my supplier said that steel have gone up drastically in the last few years. I personally think it's bullsh!t but what can you do? Chalk it up to the cost of doing business... :cry:

5. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

all of our steel is going to china so it can cost more and come back with lead paint on it...

6. scitown

scitown Senior Member

$123.00 with new bolts.

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i don't have any fishers but i have been using road grader edges for two years now and they wear great. just got an CAT 8' wed for $120. they are 6" and 5/8" thick and they will last three times as long. if you don't want to buy new you can usually find used ones for free or scrap price.

8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

If a person runs multiple plows here's what we do. I've contacted steel suppliers and have bought regular 6" x 1/2" steel stock. I cut it and drill holes using the old edge as template. I can buy grade 8 bolts cheaper than in a bolt "kit" from Western, Etc. Only problem is I cannot do the square punched holes so I have regular bolts in my blades. I cannot tell the difference when plowing-plow rolls snow just the same and I've saved over $35 per edge even after considering my time spent.

9. Jay brown

is the regular stock your buying high carbon steel? if not doesn't it wear out fast?

10. scitown

scitown Senior Member

How much did that equipment cost? So you could cut and drill thru that stuff? That must be nice.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Steel increased drastically over the last few years. You can use Meyer edges on Fisher, same bolt pattern.

12. Jay brown

trust me on the road grader edges, they work better and are cheeper.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We buy are cutting edges direct from the manufacturer and they will make any size you want with any bolt spacing. They also make grader cutting edges as Jay talked about and every other cutting edge you can think of. They also will make your cutting edge with a carbide edge and that stuff lasts forever in a parking lot.

14. Jay brown

hey JD dave we have about 20 of the 4' x 3/4"carbide edges(used). i was thinkin about cutting them in half (2')and bolting them to the ends of the plow(over the existing edge). would this work well?

15. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

I've already had the tools for a few years now, for other projects that I've done. I've made my own heavy duty mulch cart, leaf plow for a Z turn, leaf collection box for a 1 ton and fixed many other things.So, I make use of them. I know the cutting edges are not carbide but, they seem to last long enough for my purposes. I've usually be able to get about 3-4 seasons out of each edge.
    Also I did not make my own for my 1 V plow-that 1 I bought after market which strangely enough came from Canada!
    What; can't we make anything here in the U.S.A.?

16. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

$143 for 4' blades and $156 for the 5' ones.
    This piece of equipment takes 2 of the 4' ones and 1 of the 5' ones for a total of 13' or $442 each time I have to replace them.

2008 ice blade on AW  web.jpg