1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement Carbon Brushes for motor???

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by mr hydroseed, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

At the end of last season I needed some new carbon brushes for my Curtis 3000 plow. I called Curtis to order the brushes but they didn't have any part # for it. They said i had to order a brand new motor. Since then I've been looking for some new brushes and haven't had much luck. Has anyone else found a place to get new brushes? They measure 5/16x3/4x1" long.
    Another thing, anyone got some miles on their plow and how's your plow holding up? My plow is so beat and twisted that I don't even know if i can use it this year. I wanted something else than a Fisher just because everyones got em, but I think theres a reason for that.

2. EEI TRUCK EQUIP

EEI TRUCK EQUIP Junior Member

I Know That You Can Use An Aftermarket Snoway Motor From Buyers Pruducts 150.00-170.00 Better Than Curtis At 400.00

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check with you local NAPA they may have a "Book" with stuff like that. They may be able to steer you to a place that rebuilds automotive electrical stuff. They may be able to rebuild the motor or have the brush's.

4. J J Landscaping

J J Landscaping Junior Member

Curtis Parts

I have a curtis sno-pro 3000. They are well build but getting parts from anyone is a lesson in owning a curtis. Lots of dealers but they do not stock parts nor will they get them for someone. I did find one place ( Hallmark Tire Co - Glastonbury CT - 860-633-5202 ) They do have parts and will order for you and ship them. Thats a good dealer and a good person. Everyone around my area sold or junked there curtis plows for fisher, western, meyers becacse you can get parts. I fixed my curtis parts problem. Its run by a western. He can get brushes for them. Jimmy - J J Landscaping

5. J J Landscaping

Thanks EEI TRUCK EQUIP for that tip. It may help the 2 or 3 guys left with a curtis in my area. Jimmy - J J Landscaping

6. MickiRig1

A lot of the motor brushes are a standard size. I had a Caravan with a Dapindenzo starter.
    He pulled it apart and put an off the shelf brush kit in it. The starter went another 60k before the van went up in flames.

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

have a pic of that set up ?

8. J J Landscaping

Western Run Curtis

I,ll try to get you a pic this week end. The western runs cable so its not a hitch-n-run for the winter. A meyers would have been a better choice,. I could have made the quick disconnect set-up. I had 2 days to make it work, so neatness did not aply. Meyer, western or fisher will sets rite in were the up and down cylinder goes. It run that 9 ft plow pretty good. I keep the plows on all winter. I have 2 other trucks to drive. How,s the ice your way? Jimmy - J J Landscaping

9. PLOWMAN45

its cleared up

10. J J Landscaping

All Ice Here

It,s a big frozen mess here. An a little more for tomarrow. Jimmy

11. PLOWMAN45

its a good plow if that motor went or something major it would be a nightmare

12. J J Landscaping

The Ultra Nitemare

It was the ultra heart brake and nitemare in 20 years of plowing. I steam the plows in april, lub them up good, store them on a skid a foot off the ground, cover them up and put them to bed for summer. The motor tested bad. so we brought one. Still no work, the pump siezed. The first dealer had 6 new curtis plows out front, an impressive site to see and NO parts. The 2nd dealer i called said he is not a curtis dealer or sell plows. On the way to the 3rd dealer we went by the 2nd dealer only to see 4 new dodges with 4 new curtis plows on them. At the 3 one standing under 2 big signs that say CURTIS the owner says he does not sell curtis. Insult and injurry all at one time and to face winter with a beautiful 9ft plow that is DEAD. My 2nd truck is a jim,s everything i had plow. Fisher mount, meyer plow run by a western. It works every year. My curtis was 5 years old, this is my 3rd yr with it and its getting painted red next week with western decals. Curtis built a very nice plow but the dealers are making them a unwanted plow. I have a lot more fun mowing lawns - Jimmy

13. PLOWMAN45

no one wants to stock parts

14. MickiRig1

Parts are around you just have to use the INTERNET on some stuff. When it's snowing the dealers will rape you because they know they can. Either fix it or let it sit not making any money. That's one of the reasons I have Meyer equipment, I can get stuff at Advance Auto parts right up the street! It's systems that have passed the test of the storm.

15. PLOWMAN45

Next truck wil have westrn ultramount or meyers classic parts are always aval

16. MickiRig1

In my area most parts are one call away. In a pinch I can call a friend or my Brother in -law and they would have a spare.I have a Meyer dealer 3 miles from me.

17. PLOWMAN45

someone on here must know away to change the hydraulic config so its easier to work on

18. J J Landscaping

Hard to Work On

Oh yes PLOWMAN45 - Very hard to work on. I pulled the 3 bolts, left it up as hi as i can and my wife put blocks of wood under it. Made it a lot better. When i pull the curtis set-up complety out i,m going to use a cut off wheel, cut down to the 3 hoses so i can take it out with lines left on.Curtis should have did it that way to start with. MickiRig1 said it best - the test of time, fisher, meyer, western. I like to go to my local car and truck salvage yard. They get lots of trucks with plows on them. Some are junk, but you can work out a price for 2 or 3 of one kind and put 1 good one together or cables, cylinders, hoses and so on i can put on my shelf. Nice to talk with you guys. Now i have to feed 5 wk old silkies and get ready for 3 storms coming. Jimmy

19. makplow

makplow Senior Member

i consider my self fortunate because i live 20 minutes from Worcester Mass. where they have there factory, We also have the factory outlet store near by. I hope Curtis can get after there dealers to stock parts for you guys. I know i would never buy any thing unless the service was a part of the bargain. too me service is every thing. I would pay more for any thing if i knew i was going too have excellent service after my purchase otherwise see you latter.

Mak.

20. MickiRig1

One Advantage I have over a lot of people here is my area is an OLD industrail area. We have so many people that know stuff about everything! I walk into my favorite fastener place and ask for 3 grade 8 - 3/4 by 3/8's, 4 -> 3 inch 10 machine screw 32 thread.
    And they say coming right up. Want the screws in brass, chrome or steel?