1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement Buyers Spreader Motor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rednekk frank, Jan 23, 2009.

1. rednekk frank

rednekk frank Member

Are the $85-$100 Buyers replacement motors sold on Ebay any good? I see they are well under half the price of buying one from a Buyers dealer. This is for a Buyers SUV Pro model, which will see very light use (just 1 driveway, maybe 5 times per season). Thanks for any input!

2. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

I just purchased one from DB electric on Ebay...It arrives on Monday. its was $84 plus $18 shipping. Has a one year warranty. Had a UPS tracking number withing a couple of hours of purchasing. he has over 42000 transactions and a 99.9% positive feedback. tell him jR@cycleogy.com sent you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Salt-Spreader-Motor-Meyer-Buyers-Heavy-Duty_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem390022897651QQitemZ390022897651QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

3. rednekk frank

rednekk frank Member

That's exactly the one I'm looking at.

4. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

I looked at The one from jakes autoparts which is 15 minutes away from me. I emailed him 2 days ago asking if I can pick it up locally and if there was a warranty, I still havent received a response. I was surprised because he has 100% feedback.

did you get the old one off yet? mine was a pain. I had to heat the shaft up with a torch, there is that little allen set screw that secures it to the auger, what a stupid design. I replaced it with a stainless steel hex head screw. I let you know how it works on monday...

5. tgaskill

tgaskill Junior Member

I purchased one of these and it works just as good as the factory one!

6. rednekk frank

rednekk frank Member

My replacement motor arrived on Friday. I hooked it up and it seems to work perfectly. Thank you to those who provided input.

Sno Biz - I see what you mean about getting the collar off of the old motor shaft. The set screw stripped immediately, so I had to drill it out, and drill/tap a hole for a new set screw. Even after I got the set screw out, the collar was still frozen to the shaft - so I just cut the shaft off of the old motor, and pressed it out of the collar.

7. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I've bought tons of starter motors from DB on ebay for jet skis, they always seem to work great.

8. Sno Biz

Sno Biz Member
    from Chicago

funny thing is when I installed it, I transferred the wires one by one to the new motor. turned it on, it work.
    went out salting the next day, put in 3 bags for one of my lots, finished the lot, looked inside and still had a bag and a half left...WTF... :confused: thats bizarre, went to my next lot, loaded in 6 bags. did the same, had salt left over. :realmad:
    It was throwing salt, but not alot. Hmmm, maybe this motor is wound differently... switched the wires turned it on and the salt was flying...didnt feel like too much of a dumba$$...(luckily I was alone)

9. rednekk frank

rednekk frank Member

Well, these are bi-directional motors - switching polarity will change the rotation of the motor. And if your motor is spinning backwards, so is your auger and you're not gonna pull nearly as much salt if your auger is turning backwards.

Dont feel bad, I did the same thing...I just caught it before I put the salt in it.

10. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I bought one of those motors from db electric back in nov. for my suv pro. It has had a work out this season and it works great ! I didn't realize how weak my spreader had been the past couple of years. For 85 bucks I don't care if it only lasts a couple years !!! I was able to get 4yrs. out of my stock motor.

,shaun