1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replacement battery cables

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 70monte, Dec 25, 2009.

1. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I think my 98 K3500 RCLB, 7.4L needs new positive side battery cables. When I first got the truck the positive side had quite a bit of corrosion and basically had to tear the middle out of the side battery post to get it loose. I'm still having some issues with my voltage even with a new battery and alternator as well as my left side blinker indicator in the dash will periodically not work. I'm thinking the corrosion has wicked pretty far down the cable and is causing some problems.

Where would be the best place with reasonable prices to get replacements? I want something that is comparable to stock.

Does anyone have the GM part # for both positive cables? How about the #'s for the negative side also? My truck only has one battery so I don't need the duel battery wiring setup. Thanks.

Wayne

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can measure them and just get some from Napa or wherever. There's no huge loads on these like your plow pump so you don't need anything special.

3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

What about the smaller wire that has the fusable link in it? Most of the aftermarket battery cables are very basic and don't have the smaller wires that are also built into the main cable. Thanks.

Wayne

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I forgot about the charge wire. Are you running a high output alternator? If so, you should have the high output charge kit. Napa carries them. Even if you have a stock alt, the HO charge kit will help electrical performance. It's nice 2 gauge welding wire, with a mega fuse & holder. Includes the 2 gauge ground wire to run from the batt to the alt.

5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I go to the local battery shop or truck dealership. I would upgrade to the next size wire. Go to at least a #2 or #1 wire size. Most auto stores will only carry a #4 at best. And if you have a regular top post battery, I would use military type ends.

6. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I'm running a stock 124 amp alternator and we don't have any Napa autoparts stores nearby. I'm running a side post battery. I will try and see if we have any battery shops around and see what I can find. Thanks.

Wayne

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

How much for the NAPA charge kit ???????

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think I paid about $80 for my HO kit two years ago.

Wayne - if you don't have a Napa, you might try an auto stereo shop. Those guys are used to running big cables, and usually have good stuff.

9. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Ok, thanks I'll try that. Are the wires for the 140 amp alternators bigger than the 124 amp and lower? Rockauto.com shows different cables for the 140 amp trucks and the 124 amp and lower.

Wayne