1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replaceing "O" rings?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scott murray, Aug 28, 2001.

1. scott murray

scott murray Junior Member
    from IN

I have a E-47 and it won't angle left. I know that I have to check the O-rings on the "C" valve. Could someone tell me where it is and how to get it out? I know where the solenoid is. Also can someone help me figure out about the cross-over relief valve. (how to take it out and what to look for if it's bad.) The only thing is the power angle block and any advice on it would be appreciated. Thanks to all!!!!!!!!!

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Scott,
    Welcome to the forum. Get yourself the E-47 repair manual from a dealer near you. They sell for around $5.00 or so. You will be doing this kind of stuff often so it will pay for itself quickly.

If you know where the C solenoid assembly is, remove the nut from on top of the coil & remove the coil. Then you can remove the valve by loosening the nut at the bottom of that cylinder you'll be looking at. The O-rings are in there. The cross over relief valve is where the acorn nut is on the power angle block. Be careful removing any of these because there are many little parts in there (o-rings, springs etc.) You probably want to clean the filters also. There are 2 and they are in the 2 nuts (might be acorn nuts, can't remember right now) to the right of the drain plug. Check out Chuck Smith's web site because he probably has pictures of all this that I just explained. Good luck.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/

3. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

o rings

I had the same problem with my e 47. I too was at a loss. I took it to a repair shop. My problem was a weak soleniod and o rings on the valve were deterioating(sp?). It would angle right and go up and down but if you wanted to angle left, the motor would run but the plow would "fall" to the right. I eventually took the pump back to the shop and had them go over the whole pump. Now it works great. As a matter of fact I should start going over my equipment now before the rush. The C valve is the one with the green wire. The one closest to your angle hook ups. A ggod place to get info is Plow parts wharehouse. Even if you don't order anything from there, in their catologe is a very good description how the pump works. What get energized when and what not. Also check out Chucks page snowplowcontractors.com. LOSTS of good stuff there!

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Sometimes it is the couplers and not the solenoids that are dirty. These can cause similliar symptoms.

5. scott murray

from IN

Now that I know how to get to the "O" rings on the valve, I'm going to go ahead and replace them. I have had the acorn nut off and then the little screw then the threaded bushing, spring, and then another plain bushing. That is as far as I got. I didn't know what all was supposed to be removed or what I was supposed to do after I removed it. Can it be replaced or cleaned? Could it just be stuck and is there a easy way to unstick it? Will there be pressure behind it that could cause a problem? I did switch the C & B soleniods and their wires to see if the C soleniod was bad. It didnt make a difference. That is if the C & B soleniods are the same. I also failed to mention that it has been sitting for some years. Thanks to everyone that's helping!!!

6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

sitting for years

My suggestion would be to buy a rebuild kit. Get new valves and selinoids (sp?). It may be a little costly but you'll thank yourself 2am in the morning when there's 8" and falling. You'll know your pump is ready.

7. BRL

I agree with Brimow. If its been sitting for years and has problems, its going to have other problems down the road. You need to drain all of the oil, clean everything and I would do the rebuild. Get the manual like I said before, it has step by step directions for all of that. If you're mechanically inclined it won't be that hard. If not, take it to a shop that does rebuilds & let them do it. Some of the on-line plow parts suppliers even advertise that they do rebuilds. Either way its money well spent.

8. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed - NOW is the time for a rebuild. If you're going to have a shop do it, RIGHT NOW so that you don't wind up in the queue of people that waited until the last minute!

An overhaul will definitely be money well spent.

Better follow my own advice and get my Monarch in for a pre-season checkup......................

9. scott murray

from IN

it's working!

For everybody that helped I would like to thank them. After I learned from you guy's on how everything is put together, I tore into it. It ended up that the valve was stuck. I pushed a rod in the end of the valve and i freed it up. It's fine now. Thanks to all.

10. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Fixed pump

Just make sure that the valve won't do it again. Or buy a spare so if it does act up .. you'll be ready and can fix it in a matter of minutes. PRAY FOR SNOW!!!!

11. scott murray

from IN

Approx. how much is new C valve and where is the best place to get one on the net. I would like to find a place where I can get some spare parts.

12. BRL