1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replaced cutting edges on 8611LP

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by WIPensFan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Put on new cutting edges today. The wings have carbide welded on to them, hopefully they last longer than the originals. The plow was bought in 07' so not only are the main cutting edge bolts a pain in the a$$ to get at, they were of course rusted on. All had to be WD-40ed and 4 had to be heated up for a while to break them loose. 2 wing bolts had to be heated, the 2 outside bolts on each wing see more salt exposure so the were really rusted. I Fluid Filmed the crap out of all the new nuts and bolts before I put them on.

I know it's not technically a hard project, but for one person it's not something I would want to do often! By the way, does anybody know how much the main cutting edge weighs!?:eek:
  2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Nice. Ya they can be a PIA, and heavy is right! Just removed some 1/2" edges from 2 full size 8611's. I cut them up for wing edge material and just the small sections weighed a lot lol.
  3. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

weight depends on thickness
  4. WIPensFan

How do you use them for wing edge material?
  5. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

should help alot i used to go through 2 or 3 edges a year put carbide edges on and went 2 year on an edge and we do all black top plowing

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Weld them to the wings edge
  7. WIPensFan

Thanks, I wasn't sure.
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sorry, yes^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I hadn't seen the question.
  9. WIPensFan

No problem at all.
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

you went through two or three a year?????? That is crazy, you need to look at how you are plowing if that is the case
  11. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I've been able to extend ours out to about a season and a half using urethane wing edges and steel main edge.
  12. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

we had thirty plus pushes last two years all big lots wal mart and lowes there from first snowflake to end of storm just saying they increase life of cutting edge alot
  13. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Did you just put Curb Runners on them? They work great.
  14. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

We always use 2 guys to put edges on. Using the 5/8" main edge, one guy on each end to line it up and put a carriage bolt on each end. Then one guy holds the edge while the other gets under (jack stand under the a-frame of course) and puts the nuts on with the impact. Very difficult to hold the edge and carriage bolt and put the nuts on by yourself.
  15. WIPensFan

No, there is a whole plate welded on the wing, but it does have a curb guard.

I don't have any helpers I'm willing to pay to stand and watch me do it. I got er done.