1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replaced ball joints, u-joint, etc PICS

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Banksy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I rebuilt the passenger side of my axle today. I still need to do the drivers side. First time doing this so it took just about all day. I replaced the ball joints, u-joint and wheel bearing. I had to make a puller to get the bearing out. It's just a piece of thick square tubing with a nut welded on one side. Then I ran a large bolt through it. Then it was welded to two wheel studs. Worked great. Crude, but it worked. This job sucked, so I hope this helps somebody. I also have a huge Mac ball joint kit, so that made life a little easier today. All NAPA parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Looks good, Snap On now makes a tool for us to do this job! Hard A** job for sure

3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Snap On now makes a pull for this? I need one!!

4. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

anyone have a part number Iv got to do both side of my dodge soon and that would make life much easier

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Not for a 2nd gen. I have NAPA #'s for a 3rd gen.

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

its a pretty simple tool. loosen the 4 bolts that hold your hub on a few turns and put the tool in and pry it out or use our power steering. the tool is pretty much a long solid socket and it pushes the hub out from the inside. they cost about 40 bucks.

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I tried that today. I used a socket and small extension. It wouldn't budge. I anti-siezed the $**t out of the new one so I'll never have that problem again with this truck.

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

9. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

The puller you made to get the BAD bearing out was a great idea for a BAD bearing. Had it been a good bearing though, you could have easily started to separate/spread the bearing and ruined it quick. At 250 a pop that is a real bummer and a lot of guys do it. A large slide hammer works pretty well if you leave the castle nut on at the correct torque. You'll need to replace the studs used to attach the slide hammer though.

By far the best method of removing those unit bearings without special equipment is from the back using the power steering as a force multiplier. I've used this three times now on my 1ton dually, twice on my uncles 1ton, and once on a random 1ton dually. The job on the 1ton trucks with the spacer and usually heavier use is slightly more work.

I don't see how, if done correctly, this wouldn't work on 95% of these trucks. There is the occasional corrosion on 5% of trucks that seems unmovable without the proper application of an acetylene torch.I use a socket and a long extension when they're stubborn, the extension I use is now bent perfectly to fit right where I want it. If the power steering is strong enough to bend a snap-on extension, it's plenty strong to push out your unit bearing.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I should have clarified that this puller idea is intended for a bearing that is NOT going to be reused.

Those are nice ball joints, NASCAR. I should get a set of those and thrown them on the shelf. What does a set cost? I have 125,000 miles on my truck and it's over 6 years old. These original front end parts don't owe me anything.

11. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

see next post

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  12. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

13. AA+ Landscaping

AA+ Landscaping Senior Member

14. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i bought these xrf ball joints for my dodge as a spare set, there greasable and were about 220.00 for both sides upper and lower. i guess well see how they hold up. i only got 32k out of my stockers.

15. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I know you plow with yours a lot more, but I got 125k out my stock joints.

16. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

just a fyi you need to reuse those studs in the other bearing.

17. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

FYI A lot of guys will choose to install new studs in the new bearing.

18. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I didn't see the sense of replacing the new studs already in the new bearing with the old studs. That's just me. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009