1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replace torsion springs

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by af120, Oct 11, 2014.

1. af120

af120 Junior Member
    from nj

I'm trying to change the frame torsions springs, and I'm having trouble getting the bushings off. Any tips to remove the bushing (without breaking them)?
    Thanks!!

2. DERHNTR

DERHNTR Junior Member

are the springs broken? Mine have always come off easily. Course my springs were broken. If not broken release the chain to the lift and let spring tension off by lowing the light and lift cylinder frame. Make sure you remove the bolt holding the bushing too. You should be able to get a pry bar behind bushing. Good luck

3. af120

af120 Junior Member
    from nj

Thanks, both springs are broken. I took off the end bolts, I tried pry bar and medium hammer and the bushings won't move. My next step is to try to remove the frame, maybe I can get behind it better.

4. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

To remove the bushings sometime you will have to heat and twist them off with a pipe wrench.

5. af120

af120 Junior Member
    from nj

I tried heat with propane, which didn't help. Do you know if acetylene is OK to use? The bushings look like brass, don't want to melt them.

thanks.

6. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

They are made of steel.

7. af120

af120 Junior Member
    from nj

You were right, made of steel and heat/pipe wrench got them off. Took a lot of heat, cutting torch burning hot, but eventually they broke.

Thanks for the support!!!

8. DERHNTR

DERHNTR Junior Member

Hope you put a little anti-seize on both bolt and inside of bushing. Glad you got them off.