1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replace speedcast lower headgear w MM hdgr to install on MM truck

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by smallfry, Dec 27, 2011.

1. smallfry

smallfry Junior Member

Hello all and Merry Christmas -

new to the forum, thank you to all who view -

Does anyone know if I can place/swap MM lower headgear onto the headgear from speedcast 6' plow so I can easily mount to a truck (s10) with MM peculiars already installed?

looking to cram a vintage underhood pump set-up (plumbing not complete, gonna need some hyrlc lines, but pump seems ok(not fully tested)) into an s10 that has MMs on it (woulda been much easier to scrap the speedcast & just get an MM...)

Thanks, EJ

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I assume you mean the a-frame and pistons? Welcome to plowsite!

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I'm pretty sure you'll need the newer A frame, but the blade is useable. Measure from ear to ear on center, and I can tell you for sure.

4. smallfry

smallfry Junior Member

thank you both!

I may be totally out in the woods on this, but what I was looking to do was separate the speedcast headgear and discard the bottom/lower piece, replace it with a "lower headgear from MM" (in quotes b/c I dont know if it even exists), and in a magical world the upper headgear for speedcast and MM would be the same (or at least configured in same fashion to receive/join lower headgear) allowing me to smoothly transition to the MM peculiars by simply getting MM lower headgear - the more I type the dumber my idea sounds, but I figured I'd check make sure it was a no-go.

re: pistons and A frame - absolutely yes, but, also, want to use half the headgear (starting to think this was pretty rosy thinking to think I could "blend" the MM and speedcast headgear.)

May have to ditch the MM peculiars, and really start usin th noggin, along w the hacksaw, local welder, etc to get this speedcast onto the s10

will post ear to ear measurements as well (for the plow...not much goin on b/n my own ears...)

THANK YOU

EJ

5. The upper and lower headgear from a speedcast are completely different than from a MM1 or MM2. If you are asking if you can bolt the upper headgear (lift piston and triangle) from a speedcast to the lower headgear (push frame and pins) from a MM1, the answer is no.

6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Your going to need help beyond anybody's knowledge here if you plan on adapting the conventional upper headgear with a lower MM headgear...The only possibility for savings here is to find an older MM 1 headgear that will fit your current A frame (need measurements to tell you specifically which ones). Even then it's been my experience that much of the older A frames will not match up to the newer headgear's...so your only hope of salvage is the blade to which you'll need to source a matching headgear and A frame.

You had mentioned your plow is 6'....is it actually 6' 9"?

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

See what happens when I get sidetracked and forget to press the "Post" button.............

9. smallfry

smallfry Junior Member

...yeah, thats what I was asking...bummer...

Thank you

EJ

10. smallfry

smallfry Junior Member

yes, i think 6'9"... will look for th parts you mentioned -

Thank you all for taking the time to look and reply!!

will post results of project -

Thanks,
    EJ