1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replace or retread tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by vic3500, Oct 27, 2012.

1. vic3500

vic3500 Member

Gonna be helping a friend on a couple snow contracts this year, so i need to get some traction in snow. Light snow, 8-10 inches max

Mostly just stacking the piles for him, but maybe a bit of plowing, possibly some incline loading docks.

Otherwise i just use the skid on gravel and asphalt and i wouldnt bother replacing the tires.

Considering Lifemasters or retread or regroove of my existing solid tires or just a new set of Prowler OEM type.

Couldnt find alot of info on plowing with solids.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

photo 4-2.jpg

photo 1-4.jpg

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. vic3500

vic3500 Member

I did read good things about life masters. i guess that is my last resort. about 1700 with rims. but I was hoping to be able to get some snow use out of my solids. anybody have any experience with the solids, regrooved or retreaded?

4. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

My tire place recommended retreads with this pattern:

http://www.oliverrubber.com/images/treads/300_WastHLug.jpg

According to the guy at the retreading place they deal with, they wear the best of anything for a skid. Our last set was retreaded with a standard directional tread (r-4). This one is called a waste hauler lug. For what its worth we are running them on the back of our tandem and they seem to get good traction, probably be decent on a skid as well, maybe even better in winter than the standard r-4's seem to be.

5. vic3500

vic3500 Member

Yeah that tread is similar to the lifemaster. Guess the more tread touching the ground .... the better

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

In that case, wouldn't your current tires be the best?

7. vic3500

vic3500 Member

Sorry, I'm no expert, I should have said, actual "tread". I'm guessing there needs to be some void there, as opposed to the slicks I have? That's why I'm asking for help from some of the experienced people on this site. Thanks

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

9. vic3500

vic3500 Member

Thanks for the response. My local tire shop will groove for 50 bucks per tire. I'm hoping to find someone who's used grooved solids for plowing. Wondering if they would just not be pliable enough.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

just a little sarcasm

Those look great Joe! I remember you posting about this...but don't recall seeing any pics of it. Are you going to get a 3rd winter out of them?

I may be wrong..but from the pics you already posted, it dosen't look like there is really much left to groove???

11. jomama45

They're solid tires, I'd assume they could be grooved until they got into the "air-cushion"??????

Vic, you could buy the groover and do it yourself and do it in a matter of an hour or two, and have the tool forever...........

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Feed back about them (severe duty) like you just mentioned Joe...is exactly why I suggested them in the beginning....1500hrs in our line of work is fantastic!

13. vic3500

vic3500 Member

I couldn't see the pics earlier. Just got em now on my home computer. They do look fantastic! Looks like it takes more than a bit of skill, but I reckon I don't have much to lose for trying. Just don't wanna be caught short when first storm hits. Guess I gotta roll the dice. Thanks to all for all the input.

14. vic3500

vic3500 Member

Just got on Amazon to order the groover but before I hit the order button I got to thinking. I just got a new angle grinder, Just wondering about any opinions on using the grinder to groove with. Not trying to be cheap, so if the groover makes a big difference .... Set me straight and I'll just pony up and order it.

15. jomama45

The groover will keep the top edges at a sharp 90 degree angle, which is exactly what you want. I don't think the angle grinder will do that, and will take MUCH longer and be a big mess.

If you know someone that races a dirt track oval car, they may be able to save you from having to buy one by letting you borrow............Thumbs Up

16. vic3500

vic3500 Member

Understood. Thx, I'll order today.

17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I believe you're wasting your time and money with this regrooving idea, prolly too late I know. You should just get a set of Wolf Paws and have great traction in the snow for the next 4-5(maybe longer) years depending on how much use you put them to.

18. vic3500

vic3500 Member

Yup you are right. Too late.

19. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

:D oh well! give er a shot.

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That was my initial thought Wip ;) ^^^^^^^..................but after reading the above statements by the OP, I realized it wasnt what he was wanting to hear.

vic3500, please post pics of your groove job on the tires when you get em done.

Joe, how long did it take you to groove all 4 tires? And how wide/deep of a groove did it cut?