1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replace or rebuild the angle rams?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Jeepm@n, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

I have a 99 Cherokee with a 6'-6" Meyer old style mount with the E-47 pump. Anyways I just changed the fluids and found some water in the angle rams. The rams were pitted when I bought it so I suspect that is why. I only used it 4 times this year which once was 23" of snow. I want to solve this problem before it causes damage to the pump. Is it more cost efficient to replace the angle rams or to have a hydraulic shop rebuild them?

The rams are pitted on the ends and I did use steel wool and oil last December to clean it up for the short term knowing I need to address that issue soon.

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Those are pretty cheap to replace the whole ram if they are 1 1/2 x 10 cylinders. We have them for 74.83 on the front page of our website

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you need to replace the pistons as well as the packings it would be cheaper to buy new ones. ESI has aftermarkets cheap as do a lot of other people including your local dealer.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

X2 on replacing the whole assm. Cheaper and faster

5. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

Ok thanks for the help guys. I will keep them as emergency spares and buy two new ones.

6. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

When I put the new angle rams in do I need to flush them as I would for my end of season storage?

Also do I need to add fluid to them when compressed to get all the air out?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No no need to flush them.....what i usually do when doing a drain and fill is use a floor jack, jack up plow and then angle both ways. Refill fluid....repeat then raise the ram when all air is out of the angle rams