1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

replace HYD01633 with sam 1306070

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Boogerman2000, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Boogerman2000

Boogerman2000 Junior Member

does anyone know if a western solenoid will work for a boss plow. I need a HYD01633
    and can only find a SAM 1306070 locally

2. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

If the amp rating is the same I'd use it.

3. Boogerman2000

the only problem is that the original one has 4 poles....and the one they have locally is only 3 poles. I know the two large ones are for the red power wires and one small one is for the ground and the black/white is on the other pole which I'm not sure what it does...Any ideas???

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want it to be reliable look around until you find a 4 post solenoid. The Boss's tend not to work consistently with the 3 post self grounding style.

5. Boogerman2000

So I would assume that the post on the solenoid with 3 posts the one that would be eliminated would be the ground wire post...ie the solenoid would be grounded by mounting it to something metal...Would I be correct? Would that work in a jam...that is truly my question as we are embarking on a storm this weekend and I can't find anyone except for autozone...that has solenoids around my area.

Thanks for your help!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes in a pinch you can use one to get you through a storm, just attach the brown wire (which is your ground) to one of the mounting bolts on the solenoid since it's lacking the 4th post.

7. Boogerman2000

What is the other wire(the black/white) used for.

Thanks

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That is the wire that activates the solenoid. Goes on the single (and only) small post you'll have with the 3 post solenoid.

9. Boogerman2000

Thank You....Hopefully I can get it up and running tomorrow.

10. Boogerman2000

Worked like a charm and Happy New Year....Bring on the Snow

11. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

I would use the Boss Solenoid, they last long then the cheap SAM replacement.

12. Boogerman2000

I ordered 2 of the Boss Solenoid's but until they come in....I'm in business