1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Replace Engine

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by john r, Mar 2, 2015.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I cant find an electric motor that will run the hydraulics on my Ice Hawk spreader. I was told I would need a 3 phase motor to replace the 6.5hp engine to get the same torque to run the hydraulics. Does that make sense? Any way, I want to install a 6.5 Honda. Does any one run one of these and what type of choke actuator does it use?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

First off there is no such thing as a 12 volt 3 phase electric motor. You are not talking to the right people. Find a good electric motor shop, or an armature shop that rebuilds motors, and talk to them.

3. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Re-read the OP.... He is trying to replace a gas engine with an electric motor.:dizzy:

The people he talked to told him it would take a 3 phase electric motor to get the same torque. Nothing wrong with that information...AFAIK Thumbs Up

What he wants to know is what what type of choke actuator does a Honda 6.5 use?
    :mechanic:

4. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I was thinking of doing the same thing.

I have two spreaders that I would love to switch over.

Watching what you find out.

Another thought is to contact the manufacture

5. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I could swap in an electric motor no problem. But I dont think it will work. This is a totally hydraulic setup. No belts, chains, pulleys, gears, and no maitenance. Electric motors run 1800 rpm. Gas engines run 3600rpm. Obviously I'm not going to get the same spread from a slower motor. My thought would be to change the orafice size on the pump to create more output pressure. Will this work? Will I burn the motor up?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  6. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

If I have a piston pump I will be able to adjust the pressure. If its gear driven then either mess with different orafice's or just buy a PP.